How did you optimize setting of download manager?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I am just curious how did you optimize some settings of your download manager to improve download speed. As of now I am using the LeechGet 2006 used w FlashGot and also trying out the DownThemAll firefox extension. Maybe, some of you there knows some tricks how to make this thing to work more effectively and efficiently for different kinds of download, especially mp3 and programs, etc...:cautious: :blink: ;)

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, sweater

I don,t use them as my ISP is giving free upgrades on ADSL to 8mgs. :eek:

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I'm using Star Downloader, free version. As for optimizing it, I haven't noticed any major difference in download speed regardless of how many pieces I split the file into or kept it whole. Being on dialup, I didn't really expect to. The big advantages for me are the ability to reconnect and keep going when I get bumped offline and it's ability to integrate with an AV for automatic scanning of the downloads. I haven't had any problems downloading MP3s or any other file type for that matter. Just drag and drop them on the download basket. Open Office was easy enough. I've actually downloaded an entire OS with it, Knoppix, by letting it run overnight and pausing it during the day. Took a couple days with dialup service, but got it done. Works real good with cable service on other units I've installed it on, but never compared it's speed to the browsers downloader. For me, the speed isn't the advantage. The reliability is, especially with low end internet service. The other big advantage for me is the ability to make separate categories for different files with separate pre-defined destinations. MP3s automatically go to the music folder. New definitions for the AV go to it's own folder. The built in scheduler is very handy for this. I have about 20 separate categories, each with their own destination. For me, these features make it worth keeping.
    Rick

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2006
  4. mikisu

mikisu Registered Member

So you took my advice-its a great downloader.The rest of your post I am having trouble understanding.

I am achieving TWICE the rated ISP speed,probably because of a registry setting allowing multiple downloads.

Very fast out of the box-your problem could be with your native internet settings.

Download CableNut and correct them;
    http://www.broadbandnuts.com/index.php?page=5

and do a bit of work thereo_O :eek:

Mike

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

atm im trying Free Download Manager; i just used its optimization wizard.

the other download manager i use is getright. i just maxed out the settings. 60 connections total, 30 per http server, 30 per ftp server. i set it to autodownload files one at a time. i dont remember how i set the segmenting but i think i started with 2 segments for files up to 15 megs and just set 15 meg intervals for each additional segment.

6. sweater

I'll try also this one. ;)

By the way, have you also tried other download manager before? How would you compare this to others? :rolleyes: o_O

Actually, I've never used any download manager in the past not until I become frustrated that there are times that some of my downloaded files are corrupted or incomplete or that I was sometimes disconnected with my dial-up connections and I have to download them again. The firefox extensions DownThemAll is not good enough coz even if your file was already 97% finished and there was a server error it will then begin again returning into 0% which is very frustrating. :mad: :'(

You mean, w Star Downloader, even if there was a server error it will not be affected and you can then continue the unfinished downloads? or if you are disconnected unexpectedly, you can then resume from where it was and just continue the remaining download? o_O

7. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Yes, you can get disconnected and it connects back up and resumes. It will reconnect as many times as it takes to finish. Quite often, I find something I want and start a download, then immediately pause it until I finish browsing. I've left some paused for weeks, not deliberately. I'd never tolerate dialup with a download manager. I haven't tried any others. Found this one several years ago and haven't had a reason to look any farther. Got lucky and found a clean one on the first try. I'm quite happy with it. BTW, there's no adware/spyware bundled to it. It does have a "check for new version at startup" option but it can be disabled. It does integrate with most browsers if you set it to but I run it separately. There are some sites that just won't let you use a download manager, usually ones that require password access.
    Rick

8. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I could not get leechget 2006 to interact with flashgot.The download window opens but nothing is shown .Only 2005 seemed to be supported .Can anyone confirm this?
    tia
    ellison

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi sweater, you do know you don't need to download mp3s to listen to them, even on dialup you can stream them instead. have you tried doing that?

the older version of leechget has more options, like being able to download 8 files at a time. i've got it somewhere if you want it.

10. sweater

I want to save the music into my music library. ;)

I doubt older version is slower as my dial-up needs to squeezed out every bit of speed to save time. I'm trying out now star downloader, and I think this is more faster than leechget, and it has more options. But, if anyone of you out there can possibly recommends a more better efficient download manager for slow dial-up connection users then I'll thanks for that...:D :)

11. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm not using any download managers as with DSL I think it's not needed. In the days of dial-up, I used to use GetRight, but I didn't optimise it. I just left it at its default.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.