How complement KAV pro 5.0.14 for best security

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bricologiste, Oct 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bricologiste

bricologiste Registered Member

Hi

I am using KAV personal pro 5.0.14 (and look'n'stop with phantom's rules).

I want to know with witch programs can I associate KAV to have a good(the best...!) security suite.

Do I need an antitrojan (kAV seems to be really good for this job).

Whitch progs do you use ? (even with another AV)

Thanks for your answers! ;)

2. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

My opinion would be Process Guard or Tiny Firewall. Since you already have a firewall, Process Guard would be a great compliment to your system. If you don't like it or don't want to spend $$$, you could look at SSM for the same breed of protection.
    Prevx would also be something to consider for good, free generic protection from intrusions.

3. bricologiste

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

5. acyclovir?

acyclovir? Guest

Greatis regrun its another alternative against pc infections, very good security program to work whit kav

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi bricologiste

I have several backup trojan and spyware scanners that I use. Of the anti-spyware products that I use, the ones that definitely find traces of spyware that seeps through are Ad-aware, Spybot, and Giant-Anti-Spyware. Giant recently found a nasty piece of spyware that Ad-aware and Spybot missed. I confirmed that this was not a false-positive, which often occurs with other ant-spyware products.

Among the anti-trojans that I have, TDS-3 has been the most reliable in detecting hard to find trojans. Ewido, has picked up traces (this is over a few months). I like have BOClean and TrojanHunter to back up my scans, but TDS-3 has been the most thorough.

I am testing out Prevx, SSM, and will evaluate Process Guard. They all have their strengths, and they do impact surfing habits. But it is O.K. with me. I have been hit hard three or four times, and it takes far more time to recover than using these products. It is a matter of compromise. Everyone has different surfing habits. Mine are medium, since I do lots of research on the net.

I also request confirmation for every cookie. It is annoying, but it keeps my system cleaner. Spyblaster is useful in this respect.

Based upon my experiences, I would recommend in addition to KAV, Giant Antispyware, TDS-3, Ad-aware, and Spybot as definitely additive to KAV. The rest, depends upon your own experiences. You may one to trial some of them just to see what is happening while you are surfing and whether the others are catching anything new. Among those that I would trial are: Process Guard (after it is well tested, otherwise you might get totally turned off by the crashes), ditto for SSM, Prevx, Ewido, TrojanHunter and BOClean. I'm playing around with NOD32 as a backup AV, but you might want to try out one of the online scanners such as McAfee's. I would stay away from Pest Patrol, which has way to many False Positives and can be a giant pain.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No need for extra crap if you use Kaspersky. Just use Extended Database,some decent firewall and you're ok. Plus maybe a spyware cleaner like Spybot or Ad-aware (manly for registry junk since Kaspersky can deal with files (Extended DB))

8. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

You're probably right, but, bricologiste said he/she wanted the best in security. Even KAV has vulnerabilities and adding Process Guard, or the equivalent, should get you very close to secure without pulling the plug (of course that's assuming the user can operate the software).

9. Socio

Socio Registered Member

This is what I use:

KAV 5 Pro + Outpost 2.5 Pro (tweaked to my system) & (process monitor disabled) + ProcessGuard 3 beta + TDS3 + Webroot Spy Sweeper + SpyBot S&D

10. bricologiste

Thanks everybody for your help , I will try somme of this programs !

Do you know if Panda Pruprevent Personal could be usefull too ?!!...

Merci !

11. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I have read some articles about Panda True Prevent, and the autors are not impressed.

They all mean this program doesn't bring any extra security, and is not doing what Panda is promising.

Please excuse me I can't remember anymore the source of those articles.

Ciao,

Smokey

12. westwind

westwind Registered Member

panda truprevent is no more than a virus in win9x.it makes my compuer
    reboot again and again.

kav is strong enough for trojan.you need nothing but updating every day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.