How clone server hard drive and replace drive, help please?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pcumming, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcumming

pcumming Registered Member

I have used Acronis True Image (Home version) for a good number of years. Great product.

I recently was asked to help a friend out who has a business with one server
    HP Proliant ML310. A few years old. No documentation or Invoice listing what is in it. Not sure if it is basic model or G2,3,4,5. Have service tag# but do not think HP has service tag lookup like Dell does.

Running Windows Sever 2003. It has 2 drives in it. First is an 80gb drive with 2 partitions. Second drive is a 1tb drive that is connected to a Raid device via SATA cables-this 1tb drive is used for Data.

We Want to replace primary drive with a larger drive
    My friend wants to replace the 80gb drive (I doubt it is a hot swappable drive-we have to take a look) with an off the shelf (Newegg, BestBuy, etc..) SATA 250gb drive as they are running out of working space on that drive.

I may have to hire someone, but in general what is the best way to backup the 80gb drive (with 2 partitions) and restore them to a 250gb drive so that I can replace the current drive and boot from the new one and have the server come up okay??

I assume I need Acronis True Image Echo for Windows Server ($699. I also assume I cannot take out and clone the disk via USB in a Windows XP machine using True Image home).
    1a***Can I connect a 250gb off the shelf SATA drive that I put in an external USB case to the server and back up the 2 partitions on the first internal drive to the new drive (connected via USB just for cloning) to perhaps a 3rd partition I createo_O
    Then I would restore from the 3rd partition to 2 partitions (2 restores)

Am trying to pick the easiest way to backup and restore to a different drive without adding another drive internally to the system.

I know nothing about server partitions and if they are EISA are just NTFS, etc... Not sure about servers. My friend knows about managing servers but not the hardware part.

Any basic help appreciated. I can even try it with the 14 day Acronis trial before purchasing it. I know they will need it in the future.

Thanks
    Peter

2. Alan M

Alan M Registered Member

hmmmmmmmm

3. Alan M

Alan M Registered Member

Hi Peter,

You can restore the entire drive back in one shot. Use an external USB drive as the destination of your backup and backup the entire original disk to the USB drive. Install the new drive into the server and boot from the Aconis CD then select the USB drive image as the restore source.

If there is anything dodgy with the partitions on the original drive back up each partition seperately to the USB drive. I would then partition the new drive and restore each partition.

Hoep this helps,
    Alan

4. pcumming

Thanks, wouldn't I have to first backup the partitions separately with Acronis to the USB drive?

Then if I put in the new drive and boot from the Acronis Boot CD, wouldn't I also have to first create partitions on the new drive OR does Acronis create the partitions for me based n the backup image tib files?

On home PC with Acronis 10 I normally would backup Drive C to and external USB drive and then Drive D. And I know in a restore I would restore to a partition, so doesn't the partition have to exist first?

Thanks
    Peter

5. Alan M

Alan M Registered Member

It is possible to backup the entire disk at once, which includes all partitions. It is also possible to restore the entire disk at once and Acronis will create the partitions during the restore process.

Also you could back up each partition seperately as you say, and then pre-create the partitions on the new drive before your restore. This approach is less prone to error depending on your configuration and may be best if you are savvy enough to create the partitions manually, etc.

If you need help beyond this PM me with your email address.

6. pcumming

Thanks so much
    Peter

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Alan M,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

The easiest way is to use “Clone Disk” option within Acronis True Image program. Using “Clone Disk” option you will be able to transfer all data from source hard disk to destination one. The destination hard disk drive will be bootable. The program allows you to transfer your system partition and installed applications to a higher-capacity hard disk, preventing you from updating your software.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

8. pcumming

Thanks Dmitry,

I would actually need to use Acronis SBS for servers.

If I use the clone feature will it also clone other partitions on the bootable drive (has c and d, d may be a hidden partition-Eisa)?

Do I need to format the drive first?

And do I need to install the drive in the server or can I put it in a USB enclosure?

During the clone process where does it put temp files as we are low on disk space <300gb) on the bootable server drive?

Finally can I try this out with the 14 day evaluation copy of SBS prior to purchasing?

Thanks
    Peter

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pcumming,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Yes Clone Disk option will clone all partitions including hidden.

There is no need to format the destination drive the program will do it itself.

You can attach disk directly or using USB enclosure, it doesn’t matter. Just make sure you disconnect the original hard drive while performing the first boot from the target one.

There are no any temp files created.

Yes you can use Clone Disk option using the trial version of the program. Acronis True Image trial version has the following limitations:

- Windows: all functions available; 15-days trial period;
    - Bootable media: Recovery feature available only

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.