How Can This Happen?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by WilliamP, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have Win. XP . I have SSM ,DW ,Returnl and NOD32. I turned on Returnl and DW then went to some site on the internet that I shouldn't have. It shut down DW. I got out and the computer said I needed to run chkdsk ,which I did and it corrected problems. I know it was my fault but what can do this?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

What browser ...?

Were you running in the "shadow" mode? If so, simple reboot and that's it ...
    Besides, I find it extremely unlikely that both DefenseWall and Returnil would be defeated so. Plus SSM and NOD ... More details would be nice.

Sounds more like an OS error / hardware error than anything else.

Mrk

3. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

How about you give me a PM to that site you shouldn't of gone to and I'll be happy to try and duplicate and confirm your experience as I have the exact same software you got minus SSM. :D

4. WilliamP

I honestly don't think I could retrace my steps. All I know is I got a pop up saying that DW was going to have to shut down. I can't remember if I had re-booted before it asked for ckdsk to be run. I just wanted to get out and run some scans. Nothing was found.

5. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Could you PM me the URL and your browser's options?

6. herbalist

herbalist Guest

If you find the url, send it my way as well, along with your browser settings. I'd like to see what SSM does there.
    Rick

7. WilliamP

I'm sorry ,but there is no way that I can get to where I was. It was click here,then click here ,then click there. Then I got the pop up saying DW was going to have to shut down.

8. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

But, maybe you have somewhere URL history saved?

9. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Hello WilliamP,

Out of curiosity, were you able to determine/verify if DW's GUI(defensewall.exe) or service was shut down? Both? The reason that I ask is because I would be very surprised if the latter was shut down. Thanks in advance.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

10. WilliamP

I'm not sure. I do know that when I shut down Firefox and went back to the desk top the DW icon was gone from the task bar. I believe it was at that point I got the pop up saying that I needed to run chkdsk. I had Returnil protection on so I rebooted after chkdsk. I know now that I should have done more to determine what happened. I was trying to stop what ever was possibly going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.