how can SSM be shut down?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by _ab, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _ab

_ab Registered Member

Hi,

i had problems uninstalling Antivir, SSM made it crash, because this dumb software Antivir was turning on some "anti root kit" by default, causing blue screens. There was no option to shut down SSM, i even couldn´t uninstall SSM because oft that. Can some developer of System Security Monitor or anyone tell me very clearly, how to shut this program down, including background drivers etc, please?? It seems to be a good program, except of this very annoying issue. Every program should have an option to shut it down very easily, do the programmers not know this?

Now i have trouble when trying to uninstall Sandboxie (i want to reinstall it), with the same blue screen error message, so it is quite obvious that SSM is causing this problem. I can´t understand how the programmers think about this, i have very similar problems with Comodo Firewall 3 Beta, it seems like they love to hide away some very important options from the user.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'm not too familiar with SSM, but you can probably shut it down by disabling the SSM service (assuming it runs as such), and then rebooting. At that point, if any GUI loads, just exit from it and everything should be ok.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Right-click on its system tray icon and choose Exit. If you don't want it to start up at login, go to Options and clear the "Start automatically (all users)" checkbox.

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

With SSM I would right click tray icon, select 'Rules', and disable all rules prior to install/uninstall of anything. However, with installs, you have the option, via the drop-down box in the pop-up, to select installation mode, which causes SSM not to interfere with the procedure (but does continue to log events).

I'm not sure if exiting SSM without disabling the Rules first would do the trick (it certainly won't for RD for example - you must disable before exiting, or you will still be blocking things).

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

While SSM is running, the *safest* way to install/uninstall another application is certainly NOT to exit or otherwise kill SSM. The safe way is to...

1) Right-click SSM's icon in the system tray

2) On SSM's right-click menu, Left-click on "Learning mode."

3) Install or uninstall some application, as desired. (SSM won't interfere UNLESS the install/uninstall engenders something really really "out-of-the-ordinary." In such cases, SSM will pop-up an alert, but I have found those cases to be both rare & necessary.)

4) Once the install/uninstall is completed, Right-click SSM's icon in the system tray then Left-click on "Learning mode" (to uncheck it).

5) SSM will then proceed to examine all of its rules and will notify you of any obsolete ones, offering you an opportunity to easily clean them up.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PS- This thread likely should be moved to Other Anti-Malware topics. SSM has firewall capabilities, but it is a HIPS & NOT a firewall, per se.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  6. _ab

_ab Registered Member

Hm, thank you all for your answers, i will check this out then. Maybe things are even a bit more complicated, because i use bblean (some blackbox shell) & the normal tray/popup menues do not work normally, so i have to start SSM manually (since it is usually "diconnected" & requires password to activate GUI) & then check it from there.

7. screamer

screamer Registered Member

It sounds as though you have more issues than just SSM issues. SSM is a "very well behaved app" on my box. Plays well w/ others, takes orders... Allows other apps to install & un-install. Only notifies when it's necessary. And then you know it's necessary.

...screamer

8. herbalist

herbalist Guest

SSM and AntiVirs rootkit module do conflict on some PCs. See this thread. If you can boot into safe mode, the rootkit module can be removed from there. Once the rootkit module is removed, SSM and AntiVir get along fine.
    SSM is normally easy to shut down from the tray icon when the user interface is connected. It's designed to resist attempts to shut it down when it's not. This is deliberate because both malware and unauthorized users try to kill, uninstall, or shut down security apps. If they didn't make it difficult to kill, it it would be much less effective.
    Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.