how can i use fanboy local lists for adblock plus?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by imdb, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imdb

imdb Registered Member

hi guys
    since fanboy main lists are no longer in use and replaced by easylist subscriptions, how is one supposed to use fanboy local lists? because the only way one can use local lists is to use it together with fanboy main list.
    does anybody know a solution for this?
    how can one use fanboy local list with easylist & easprivacy?
    and are some fanboy lists still supported and in use, if so which ones?
    thanks in adv.

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I honestly wouldn't trust the local lists. Out of all the lists, they usually got the least attention, and I'm not 100% positive there are any consistent maintainers of them these days. I do believe the "Ultimate" list and the ones it combines like Annoyances/AntiSocial are still maintained by Hubird or someone else. Fanboy, instead of quitting, has decided to join the EasyList team, so basically you just use EasyList/Privacy and the other two if you desire.

Sort of off-topic but for me at least my ABP usage is decreasing and I've mostly just been using a HOST file along with something like Disconnect/DoNotTrackMe. I'm finding that ABP has been negatively affecting websites lately no matter what browser is in use.

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

That's been my approach as well - hosts file + donottrackme + nimy web cleanser (Chromium).

Nimy Web Cleanser stops ads/trackers based on regular expressions/heuristics, and that means the user will have to tweak it a bit, whenever something needed is blocked, but other than that, quite happy with it. Especially useful if one knows how to write regular expressions. :)

@ imdb

Regarding the regional/local lists, they had been dropped the last time I checked, but it seems they're back on and with more regional lists. See here: -https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/regional.html

4. imdb

imdb Registered Member

thank you mman. but i used host file in the past such as mvps hosts and similar filters. the problem with host files is when you try to go back to a previous page and then go forward to the other pages, browser just sits there and neither goes back nor goes forward thru browsed pages list. and that's because of blocked ads and ad servers. because when you right click on the browsers back and forward arrows, you see those ad pages/servers/ads and it just makes the browser kinda fall into an empty cycle. and those "empty" pages sometimes get too much that you need to open browser's history in order to find the necessary page.

thank you m00n, but the problem is one needs to subscribe to fanboy main list in order to subscribe to local lists. and even though one subscribes to fanboy main list just to be able to subscribe to local lists, after the next update fanboy main list subscription automatically turns into easylist subscription.
    that's the issue i'm trying to deal with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.