How can I "turn off" Norton Ghost 10?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ratchet, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Because Maxtor OneTouch III, Mini's do not come with a "full" version of Retrospect Express HD software, I purchased Ghost 10 (on ebay, including shipping for only $30.27) as my primary backup and recovery program. This morning I completely wiped the OneTouch and installed Ghost. The install, activation and the complete backup went great. I was even impressed with their support, as I inquired whether I needed to remove the Maxtor Management software first and they responded in less then 30 minutes! So up until that point, all is quite good, however, every time I tried to remove the OneTouch after the backup was complete, Mr. Windows XP informed me I couldn't remove it yet. I even ended the Norton and Maxtor processes but I still couldn't, so I just shut down and then removed it. I really don't have a need to back up that often, once a week at most, so I don't want my OneTouch sitting here on the floor plugged in all of the time. For now, I have just disabled the two Norton startup entries and the next time I back up I could deal with it like I did today. I don't feel like contacting support again, so do any of you know how to "turn off" Ghost or prevent Windows from recognizing the external HD as being in use? Thank You!

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Dunno if this will help, but i use ghost 2003, to turn it off i remove the startup entries and then set the ghost service to manual. This way it only starts when i manually run it myself.

You could try disabling the external hdd in windows, then just enable it agin when you need it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.