how can i setup 2 wireless routers

Discussion in 'hardware' started by winterlord, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winterlord

winterlord Registered Member

ok heres my situation. I have a dsl modem+wireless/wifi Comtrend AR-5381u
    and a Linksys E1000

now the comtrend is my dsl modem and the wirelessis attached to it however I did see where I could disable the wifi on it if need be.

this is what I tried, I had one computer downstairs pluged into the dslrouter and pluged the Linksys E1000 into the comtrend modem connecting to the Linksys on the internet port part(not the other4ports)

I couldn't get anything but limited connectivity on the Linksys E1000.

how can I get the dslmodem+wireless router to work with the E1000 Linksys? I believe the e1000 is a better wireless device but im nopt sure here are the specs
    http://us.comtrend.com/products/public/product/service-provider/ar-5381u.html#.U6D3b4sU-Uk

and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124385

I know there can only be one DHCP enabled in the network so I enabled it on the dslmodem/comtrend but obviously im doing something wrong because I cant get the E1000 to work

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Have you tried connecting it to the other 4 ports (switch)? That should work.

3. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Hi, if yours is anything like att supplied modems/routers you will probably have to put the comtrend in "bridged" mode in order to use the linksys.
    Hope that helps.

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I don't have time to investigate the specs, but when I have done this, disable the wireless on the Comtrend AR-5381u, then on the Linksys E1000 disable DHCP server, DNS server, give it a static ip, be sure to assign the Comtrend IP address as the gateway for the Linksys and give that a shot. Or do as mentioned above if possible, and bridge the Comtrend and then let the Linksys handle the DHCP, DNS and wireless as the bridged Comtrend won't be doing any of that at that point.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.