How Can I save a Data backup plan?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by HelpFromFrance, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

I just bought ATI and am thinking about dumping my old data backup software and here is what I do:

1. Each week I make a full backup image of my hard drive with ATI. (everything)

2. Each day I use another backup program to just back up my data files, that way if I have to use the image to restore, then I can restore the data over it and have all up to date.

What I would like to do is get rid of my old backup software and use ATI for the data too, but, do not want to have to chose the data files I want to back up each time. With my present software I can make sets and call them up to automatically chose the same files.

Is there a way to do that with ATI? I know I can chose files, but then I have to manually goi through and pick each directory, they are not all in "my documents", that would be too easy :rolleyes:

So is there an easy way to do this with ATI? Hope this is clear.

Thanks,
    HelpFromFrance

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

3. HelpFromFrance

Chutsman,

Thanks for the response, but maybe I am a little thick :eek: but I don't see that this is what I am wanting. I want to be able to Open True Image, chose "backup files" then have all my files "prepicked" from the last time, so I don't have to go through the directories each time. I need to do this each day and picking them each day would get old in a hurry, as I have several places files are located.

In "Backup My PC" I can save a "backup set" called data (or any name I chose), pick all the files one time save that set and when I open "Backup My PC" I just have to open that set and all the files are prepicked. That is what I want to do with True Image so I can eliminate "Backup My PC"

Thanks again, it was really super nice of you to help.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

I think if you just go through the “Schedule a New Task” and select “Do Not Start Automatically” in the "Start Parameters” screen, you should get what you want.

5. HelpFromFrance

TheWeaz,

Thanks for the suggestion. I found that and so far it almost does what I want, but the name of the bakcup file and location will always be the same, so the previous one will be overwritten. I know I am being difficult, but I do a full backup of data each day. If there was a way to include the date in the name as a "wild card" or something so it would change each day, I would have it.

Unless I do 7 schedules each with a different name and then start over each week. That way the oldest file gets repalced once a week and I have a whole week of backups. What do you think?

Thanks & have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

6. TheWeaz

I assume you are looking to archive the data, not just prepare for disaster recovery.
    You could schedule a Full task on Monday (Weekly, Every 2 Weeks) and then an INC on Tue-Sun (again, weekly, every 2 weeks). That would be one set.
    The following week, create a second set just like the first with a different image name.

7. TheWeaz

Or, you could just use 2 tasks.
    Each one doing a Full backup each day, every other week.

8. John2222

John2222 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.