How can I get Utorrent to upload faster??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cheater87, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

2. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Well Utorrent site have easy to use guides and nice FAQ plus forum.

But press CTRL-G or select Speed Guide from Options menu. Chose what is closest to your connection speed. XX is download which is unlimited per default, not important. Program then cuts off some procentages for overhead and use fixed numbers for other settings. Should work but if you dont have bittorrent as no. 1 priority limits can be changed later.

Be sure upnp is working with router should you use that. Check if newer firmware include fixes for bittorrent. Search their forum for router model. Hard to fix problems caused by router.

And get latest beta here http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=21979

3. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

With Windoze, I would not advise using UPnP for security concerns... :thumbd:

I do not and have no special problems with UTorrent since I previously set the correct portforwarding at the router...

4. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

That advise is based on what? If upnp is a security risk it would not be enabled by default in utorrent and many other programs. Advise is to use if it works. Their forum have discussed this more than a few times. Anyway, got to be on top of things like firmware, router bugs vs. utorrent bugs/beta fixes. The few settings needed are almost done automatically.

5. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

If UPnP isn't supported by your router and you receive port mapping errors.disable it at options>preferences>connection and keep a port over 10,000 ( I think it is by default). At options>preferences>bittorrent, enable Protocol Encryption and allow incoming legacy connections: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395674 and set Global number of connections to 350 and maximum number of connected peers to 250. If you use a router, you will have to port forward it and set a static ip address: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm Make sure your ISP isn't on this list of ISP's that block torrents: http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs

6. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

So have it on or off?

7. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

:eek:

Go, go, let all the stuff that is enabled by default run and you may regret it seriously one day...

UPnP is very well-known among educated security people as an open door for possible malware, just have a look at this topic in these very same fora (I did not find any topic where the unexistence of that vulnerability is proven, as you say when you mention it has been discussed...:blink: )

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=148556&highlight=upnp

8. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

I'm pretty sure that utorrent itself suggested disabling UPnp in it's setup guide and the new version (1.6.1) has it disabled by default.

9. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

UPnP (Universal Plug 'n' Play) is a service that runs on all Windows XP machines and can be used on the 9.x ones as well, and it listens for connections and UDP datagrams, so since it is a listening service, can be easily exploited if bugs are found in it (as they were). The problem is that it is listening on your own machine.

The whole point of this UPnP is so that devices will work together over a network, except that the windows implementation is not the most secure in the world.

However, some router's also have a UPnP service listening that will allow ports to be forwarded dynamically, so instead of the user having to go into the router and say that port 6666 should be forwarded for TCP, UPnP allows it all to happen automatically and the user is oblivious, and in this aspect it is quite convenient. uTorrent will not cause any security breach or concern, it just sends out a signal to your router saying to please forward this port if it could in order to save the user any hassle. It doesn't set up a UPnP server or anything of the sort.

Where the security issue is, is if somehow something downloads to your computer, runs, then uses UPnP to tell your router to forward a port, it will now receive connections and open your computer to attack if the only defense you have is that router. Despite this, I still firmly believe you should never come close to this scenario because if malware is already on your pc, you screwed up.

To Lodore:

I don't know how you will be able to get Utorrent any faster once you reach the limit of your upload bandwith. You can try specifying more simultaneous connections, but I don't think it will do that much. If you are really interested in file sharing, then newsgroups are the way to go, but torrenting is great for taking lodes off main servers and such.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.