How big of a snapshot can you export to DVD?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Horus37, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Was wondering what the size limitations are on the export function of FDISR when backing up to a DVD? Does the FDISR program itself have some proprietary software it uses for the DVD BURN or does it need some native pre installed DVD burning software already on board like NERO or RAXIO?

Looks like I could get a 8.5 GB DVD-R disk so I don't have to split up my backup. With the 4.5 GB getting a bit too close in size for comfort for me I figured the bigger one would be better. Anyone have issues with this DVD backup quality in FDISR compared to normal imaging programs where I think peter mentioned he wouldn't trust DVD backup imaging.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I do have one DVD backup of my system. But I really rely on redundant drive's for my images. It really depends on how critical your situation is.

3. Horus37

So then does FDISR use it's own proprietary software to make the export to DVD function work or does it rely on pre installed DVD burning software for this like nero? I don't have any dvd burning software on my computer but it is cd r/rw + dvd r/rw capable with the right software like nero. Just wondering if I should install nero first before I do the FDISR export to dvd function? What size DVD R media do you use? If I get shadow protect is that necessary to get nero or roxio?

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I've tested the import/export function with CD's and I needed several CD's during the test. Backup and restoration were both successfull, but veryyy slooow. I posted this test somewhere in this forum.

I don't use CD/DVD's for data backup, only as second or temporary data backup. CD/DVD's aren't reliable enough for data backup. Period. I don't even want to discuss this.

I use CD/DVD's only for movies, photos and music, stuff that belongs on CD/DVD's.

If somebody buys a new computer he better includes an external harddisk in his budget.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't know. The dvd's I made were an image from IMAGE for DOS. I've never put anything from FDISR on DVD. Honestly I don't see any point in it, at least right now.

6. Horus37

I wonder why that is that dvd backups are so unreliable. I remember reading the statistics were terrible for error free dvd burning but that was using imaging software. I'm talking about using the FDISR export to DVD function.....NOT export to CD. So in essense I could backup a snapshot that is 3GB without having to split it up as 1 single DVD should handle that. However I'm wondering HOW FDISR would do this if I don't have any DVD burning software loaded other than the native cd burning software that comes with XPHOME. That won't burn dvd's so I was interested in if FDISR uses it's OWN software to enable burning to DVD? Plus there is the question of what DVD format to use. DVD -r or DVD +r The DVD+r doesn't allow for slow 2.4 speed burning so I was wondering at what speed this copies or exports. I sent a request to Raxco for info about this but.....

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  7. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Why not just try it and see? Nothing to lose ;)

8. ErikAlbert

I never had a harddisk failure of any kind in my life, but I had several CD failures and I don't expect that DVD's will do any better. DVD only contain more data, which only means to me, that I can lose even more data.
    That's why I'm not going to entrust my hard work to CD's or DVD's, they fail too much and are not convenient in usage.
    Losing a movie on DVD isn't a disaster for me, but losing a spreadsheet or document, that contains data, which I collected during years is a disaster, because it would damage my job.

So I don't use CD/DVD's in FDISR or ATI and that's why I don't need the import/export feature of FDISR.

I prefer to use my harddisk to create the files, that need to be burned on CD.
    Then I burn these files on CD/DVD's with the freeware "CDBurnerXP Pro".

For instance : I don't burn with nLite directly although it is possible. I create first an ISO-file on my harddisk with nLite and use "CDBurnerXP Pro" to burn that ISO-file on a CD. I would do the same with ATI and FDISR.

I ditched Nero 6xxx, because it failed too many times, that's what you get when software is too bloated.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  9. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Let's hope those aren't famous last words! :D

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

heh, just happened to me for the second time in 5 years.
    Different boxes and both HD ~4 1/2 years old.
    Absolutely no warning the second time: just wouldn't boot.

Afaik in BIG companies with high usage parameters, there is a general recommendation to turn over their HD about every 3 years.

11. ErikAlbert

I know "never" is too strong, but it's true nevertheless for me. Even my 6 years old computer has still a running IBM harddisk (10000rpm).
    If users like to use CD/DVD's for DATA backup, it's OK with me, but I will never recommend it. Using CD/DVD's is asking for trouble.
    I have 3 harddisks (system, data, backup) and it's almost impossible that all 3 will crash at the very same moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.