How are registry keys associated with FDISR identified??

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by GarySugar, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GarySugar

GarySugar Registered Member

Hello FD-ISR experts.

Raxco says, "Registry cleaners such as System Mechanic should not be used to delete registry keys associated with FirstDefense-ISR". I have seen some cleaners mentioned in this forum as safe since they've done no harm so far. I would prefer to back up the registry keys in question to take no chances. How can I identify these keys? Thank you.

Gary

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't know the answer but:

1. I know Regsupremepro run in normal mode won't hurt FDISR.
    2. Backup your registry with cleaner before clean.
    3. If you screw it up, you should be able to repair it with FDISR, in another snapshot.

3. GarySugar

Thanks Peter. I will monitor and hunt to find the keys associated with FDISR. Then I'll make a query in Registrar Registry Manager to export and re-import the FDISR entries. I'll probably never use anything stronger than Regsupremepro or Karen's Pruner anyway; but playing around with Registrar will be fun. :D

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

From my experience using registry cleaners i've only encountered one problem where the registry key for the fd-isr service was deleted which corrupted fd-isr. Its fairly easy to recognize.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  5. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I too use registry cleaners quite often. Never had an issue w/ FD-ISR as long as I "Ignore ISR". I have this value set in JV 16 PT 2007, both normal & advanced mode. For Tune-Up Utilities 2007, I just watch out for ISR entries.

...screamer

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

By all means you might want to keep an eye out for $ISR and exclude it. I made a big boo boo one day by running a RegCleaner without omitting $ISR and i started seeing RED error message at the botton of FD Boot Up Screen i couldn't get rid of. I think i finally FULLY deleted a snapshot that really wasn't deleted which might have caused that error due to the registry cleaner i used, but i don't mess with Reg cleaners anymore. I value FD-ISR way too much to make any problems for it.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I clean my registry with a copy/update from clean archive to snapshot. This cleans not only my registry, but also any superfluous object, that was created by any of my installed softwares, while they were doing their job.

No existing cleaning software is able to do this, simply because they don't know what they have to clean for each existing software world-wide.

One small practical example : DVD Shrink (DS)
    DS always analyses a DVD, before it starts shrinking the DVD.
    If you use the same DVD again, DS doesn't analyse the DVD anymore, because DS knows it has done the analyse already. This means that DS creates an object somewhere on my harddisk to store that it did already the analyse for that specific DVD.

DS doesn't need to remember this for me, because once I'm done with this DVD, I won't use that DVD anymore on my computer, because I don't keep any video stuff on my harddisks. I use blank DVD's to store video stuff.

I don't know which object (file or registry) is used by DS.
    I don't know the name of this object.
    I don't know the exact location of this object on my harddisk.

What I do know is :
    - that DS remembers each DVD and that object is getting bigger and bigger each day and that is BALLAST.
    - that my cleaning tools, don't remove that object.
    - that my clean archive doesn't have that object and when I refresh my snapshot with its clean archive, this object will be removed.

I could spend my time on finding that object, but why would I do so much effort for a superfluous object and I'm very sure that other softwares than DS are also creating superfluous objects and once I found all these objects, I have to remove them myself, because my cleaning tools won't clean them, because they don't know DS and many other softwares.
    So with a little logical thinking, I found a total solution to clean ALL the garbage on my snapshots in one single hit and without knowing anything about these superfluous objects. Isn't that beautiful ?
    I never work, when my computer is able to do it, would you ? :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  8. GarySugar

Thank you everyone - very helpful information. I will exclude the registry key for the fd-isr service and other "ISR" entries from scanning, and I'll continue hunting and monitoring for any other keys associated with FDISR. It's good to know that everyone has been able to recover from any problems with these entries. The approach I'm planning is probably not necessary, but the analysis and implementation will be fun. Thanks again.

9. GarySugar

Good suggestion, but this approach wouldn't work for me. I don't know if I'd want to keep the changes in application data or registry entries stored by DVD Shrink, but I do want the changes in application data and registry stored by most of my programs. Thanks.

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If separated my data folder/files from my system (Windows + Applications).
    So I have 2 partitions : system partition and data partition. Whatever I do in my system partition, it doesn't affect my data partition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.