How 2 Customise Java Options in IE !

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Spanner intheWorks, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Spanner wasn't asking the question ;-) the blue string of letters I've quoted here

is a link - you click on it to go to the website Spanner is talking about that has this information on it ;)

2. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hey spanner, I guess the two of us are still using IE6.

I appreciate the link, I only got this far in it though:

"It never hurts to double-check your configuration. Indeed, as indicated in Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q217260, a trailing space at the end of an URL that you added to the Restricted Sites zone could cause Internet Explorer to apply different zone settings (e.g., Local Intranet or Trusted) to the site. This could open the door for malicious content."

Are they saying that this condition has not been fixed? How hard could it be to fix IE so it checks the the input addesses for a trailing blank, and deletes it if present.

This is probably not a rare occurrence. People often cut and paste these adresses and it is very easy to include an extra blank accidentally.

Well, at least now I know, but I do think it is ridiculous if microsoft hasn't posted a fix for this within at the most a few days after it was discovered. I can't think of any software off the top of my head that does not check input values to see if they are legitimate before accepting them. Let alone one that is criticle to computer security.

-HandsOff

3. HandsOff

Thanks again S,

Lots of information here. I'm wondering if the following quote is always true:

(on JAVA)
    "If it needs more permissions that you have configured, you will be presented with a dialog box requesting the additional privileges necessary for the applet to run properly."

I seem to remember times when you simply loose some function on a web site and don't even get an error message. I wonder if that was when I was using Sun's Java. At the moment I am back using msjvm.

-HandsOff

4. GForce

GForce Guest

Spanner,

I'm with you on this IE lockdown thingy, out of the box...watch it! Hey let's face it, people new to the net in general
    aren't going to pay much attention to their security, let alone locating a page or site to configure IE till it's too late.

I'll avoid quoting directly (you know buddy :) ), but "IE IS A DIRECT PIPELINE INTO THE OPERATING SYSTEM!" M$'s insistence to make it such an integral part of the OS poses rather unique considerations outside stand-alone browsers.

From another *kind* source, anyone managing "trusted" or "restricted" sites in IE should pay careful attention
    when including *wildcards*, especially those containing several, sometimes "sketchy" domains.

Good link Mr.P :cool: Good for newbs like HandsOff! :D ~ j/k my man ~

GF

5. HandsOff

Hey spanner, I may take you up on that. I think I have it mostly in hand but i'm not clear on some of the settings, especially the ones that you access via the control panel. Still, I tend to do my best learning after I get burnt, not before.

I tried moox and it was very good in many ways. You sure seem to be able to apply the metaphorical duct tape over the mouths of advertizers. But somehow I can't deal with two browsers if one will do the job. So long as I still need IE for somethings I am not going to feel free of it. I am not happy about that, because obviously it is not right for microsoft to control the browser market but since they do, what can i do?

I'm not sure its fair to say that people knew to the internet take things for granted. I have heard many frustrated comments from people who are simply intimidated by a set of controls that, be honest, nobody unfamiliar with computers could ever hope to understand.

I think Internet Explorer controls are a lot like tax laws. People who write them, exploit them, and use them to their advantage think they are smarter than everyone else. Whereas, I, on the otherhand think it is bizarre to dedicate yourself to trying to impose logic on something that is basically institutionalized corruption and vice. Sure, I do what I can do to help myself out, but if I could, I would spare the internet initiate the experience of having to "understand the internet".

-HandsOff

6. GForce

GForce Guest

HandsOff,

I may have generalised a bit there saying novice surfer's take for granted some of the webs nuances, myself included.
    There are still many areas that frustrate and intimidate me so I understand where you get off saying it's not fair.

I enjoyed the analogy in that final paragraph, nice post. :cool:
    You're a well spoken individual Hands..."kudos!"

GlobalForce

7. HandsOff

GForce - I'm glad you took it in the spirit in which it was intended!

Spanner-the IE tools settings I understand (Read: copied from someone much more knowledgable than myself). By the way Java is of criticle importance if you play backgammon online!

The ones that I completely forgot about until I stumbled across them a couple days ago are the ones accessed from the control panel. Actually, I see the confusion now, they are "Interenet settings" not "Internet Explorer Settings". Anyway here is the first part of the list, its as much as I can fit in one post:

- HandsOff

Question: Are any of the settings found here (including not shown ones) particularly important.

Attached Files:

8. HandsOff

Hello S,

You sound like you would have made a good Spartan. Actually, my BHO's really are helpers. The are for security, and one, the Adobe Acrobat helper seems to make life a little easier.

Dupicates? I don't want to confuse my computer so I won't test to see if the two sets can be made to confict. The nomenclature suggests that IE settings may be a subset of internet options, so if true, these settings would also apply to 3rd party browsers. Either way, I must have been drinking the night I made those settings because I still have no idea on what basis I checked or unchecked any boxes. I'm going to fast forward to the 3rd and final section and see if you have any comments on this set.

-HandsOff

Attached Files:

9. HandsOff

Hi Spanner, by the way it's called an "Open-end wrench" over here. just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

About search from the address bar. I currently am only using Internet Explorer, and I have changed the default search engine to Google. I have been schooled on the Alexa search trick, and I did not want google as my home page because i wanted the button for something else (like...say...gambling...) if you don't know by now the next comment will confirm that I am not the most cautious of internet explorers, but I don't like the idea of a few dirty little programs out there, impacting the lifestyle to which I have grown accustomed.

Okay, for JAVA, i don't know if I can make myself be that stringent. I'm pretty sure you have to reboot to get it actually changed and I could have won a game in the time i'd be wasting.

For BHO's, I keep an eagle eye on them. I use helper and hijack almost interchangebly, I am that suspicious of them.

Yeah, I didn't like the sound of encrypted pages, but wasn't sure.

The others i guess have to do with secure pages and ssl 2.0, I gather, is none too secure in your opinion? Damn it! that's good enough for me!

I will see what my computer thinks of the changes. If it agree's then I'm set!

Thanks for the input. Try not to skewer anyone while passing through Athens.

-HandsOff

-HandsOff

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  10. HandsOff

Thanks SW,

I made the changes as you recommended except JAVA because i'm just too used to having it, even the inline search option. Now that I have a starting point, it's much more likely that I will find out more about them. You could say, I have heightened my awareness of them.

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.