Housecall picking up Odd Files

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by LowJat99, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LowJat99

LowJat99 Registered Member

Hello,

I'm a long time user of NOD32. Today I descided to run Housecall by Trend-Micro and it found well over 300 items - including Adware_adclicker and Tspy_Dumador. It said they were located in Windows and it said local hosts 127.0.0.1?

I keep NOD32, CounterSpy and Adaware, Spybot and Spyware blaster updated and running. Could those be false positives and what would you recommend with respect to NOD32?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

NOD32 as well as Ad-Aware se + Spybot S&D do have definitions for Adware/AdClicker and Dumador ... Although it is less likely to be infected with this setup , the possibility still remains .

I would recommend you find the exe/dll files which TM housecall thinks are infected and submit them to both

1) VirusTotal (www.virustotal.com)
    2) ESET Labs (samples@eset.com)

Check your NOD32 settings and make them as per Blackspear's tutorial

Tell us how you going then . Regards! :thumb: :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2006
  3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I respectfully disagree. Trends Antispyware is one ofthe best. I use it and have found it beats Spy Sweeper and Counter Spy with no problems and few false positives. But, submitting the files is the correct thing to find out in your case.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Let me bold it is my personal option which is based on my experience and from what I have read on reputable sites . Let us not comment it but concentrate on LowJat99's problem . Thanks very much ! :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2006
  5. LowJat99

I do have NOD32 set up per Blackspear's recommendations. What I can't figure out is why NOD32 wouldn't pick it up-even while running the computer in Safe Mode.

Housecall states they are located in:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts\127.0.0.1

6. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

If these entries are found in the hosts file (which I suspect from your posts), I wouldn't worry about them.

It just means that traffic to these sites is being blocked by your hosts file.
    Maybe you are using this one: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    Highly recommended

At that link you can also read what the hosts file does.

Regards,

Pieter

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I second Pieter's post :thumb:

TM's detection is not a real threat so absolutely nothing to worry about !:D

8. LowJat99

Thanks so much guys! You're the best!

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome ! :thumb:

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Did I say something wrong? I wasnt trying to sell the frigging product. I just expressed my thoughts and agreed that he should continue down the path of advice he was given. Geez people.

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Ladies and Gentlemen, please remember we are on an international forum, and with this take into consideration language barriers. There will also be varying opinions as to the correct solution to a problem, and not every problem has one solution, so yes, looking down a different path can be a good thing to resolving an issue.

Cheers

Blackspear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.