Hotspot Shield/Expatshield

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by kennyboy, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Would the knowledgeable members here consider these to be in any way secure as a limited vpn.
    They are useful when accessing blocked websites from this country, but ....securityo_O Don't know.

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. Sordid

Sordid Registered Member

Security? Or privacy??

Perhaps, things have changed. And I may stand corrected:

It will give you HTTPS/encrypted connection to HPShield which could benefit you on non-secure networks, and the pro version uses what seems to be akin to a anti-malware DNS, but they log activity and also inject 3rd party data on the free version. The software seems janky and when I used it long ago, would push startup and connect to home. IMO, Between the weak dev, lack of security or privacy policy, and suspicious internal activity, I'd say it increases your attack surface area and any anonymity is cosmetic.

It's essentially an easy way to grab a foreign IP on a burner computer, but I wouldn't use it for much else including a "hotspot shield" unless in a real pinch. :isay:

3. Wouldn't use it honestly, free VPN's have to make money somehow and it's usually by injecting add's into the software.

4. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Useful comments.

Many Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.