HotSpot Shield/Anchor Free

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by badjoey, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badjoey

badjoey Registered Member

hi guys i was wondering if anyone here has used this free vpn service from www.anchorfree.com
    well if you are using could you please go to www.grc.com and see if it reveals your real isp.when i use the anchorfree vpn all ip websites show the ip of the anchorfree vpn except the grc.com website it is somehow showing my true ip adress.
    steve how is that even possible.
    but yea so if some other people could check that i would appreciate it.

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I just installed HotSpot Shield to check and yes, it gives the IP address. In typical Steve Gibson (GRC) fashion though, he makes it sound very shadowy. Actually, HotSpot Shield does not turn Java off by default, as it should. The result is his page showing your IP via Java. No, I am not a Steve Gibson fan.

3. badjoey

badjoey Registered Member

so than is this a security risk in your opinion cause if grc can find my true ip than other sites can as well,right.

4. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

If you want anonymity, then you go for a service that provides that. Despite the information in website, I'd call this as VPN which is intended to protect your Internet traffic in open WLAN.

5. Blue Ring

Blue Ring Registered Member

If Java is the problem, couldn't you just disable it in your browser or even uninstall it completely from your computer, if you don't really need it.

Also wouldn't something like the NoScript plug-in block it?

6. _Melk_

_Melk_ Registered Member

I've tried it with Firefox 3.x with NOScript and grc.com *cannot* detect my IP now.

I myself am still a bit concerned about this vpn technology since I'm not very knowledgeable about it yet and I don't know if the proxy used (if one is used at all) can see my passwords and such or not.

But for the grc.com question, with noscript addon, it cannot see your IP. I get this answer when I go check on it... "Your Internet connection has no Reverse DNS"

Hope this helps.

M

P.S. forgot to mention that grc.com is enabled within NoScript but still can't see my IP. (Not sure how/why that is).

7. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

It's as I said in post #2. HotSpot Shield does not have their VPN software (adware) configured properly and Gibson's getting your IP from your Java installation. I would never use HotSpot Shield, it's just another example of their not being a serious player in the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.