Hotmail worm / Hijack ??

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by tonyf1971, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyf1971

tonyf1971 Registered Member

Hi Folks, not sure if this has been posted before or is the correct part of the forum

My Partners hotmail was hijacked and spammed all her address book contacts, the message is below

“Hey
    How is going now !
    It is amazed.I got a great website,that guys sell electronics,the price is cheapest and quality is nice.Fast service to receive the products from them.
    Go and check it : fastnewbuy
    Email:info@fastnewbuy
    MSN: fastnewbuy@hotmail "

She has two XP pro pcs all updated etc one run KIS 2009, Prev X, and Malware Bytes the other Running Defence wall, Prev X, Avira Antivir and Malware Bytes.

I have ran full scan etc no worms or any malware found. Do you think this could have been a hack on her email account or do you think there could be some malware worm/ logger etc on the home pc’s ?

Any advice much appreciated

2. ourstanley

ourstanley Updates Team

Recent reports of Account hijacks
    This solution article provides information about the increase in reports that we have received about accounts been hijacked and spam mails been sent to customer's contact list without customer's knowledge.
    Hotmail is seeing instances of accounts being "hijacked" by spammers who send emails out advertising an electronics website. The spam mails usually have subjects like "Good shopping good mood" and may go to your contact list in addition to a random list of emails. Indications that this is happening to you may include you being required to match the characters in the picture (to verify that you're a person and not an automated program) to send mails when you reach your limits.
    http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.../04/29/recent-reports-of-account-hijacks.aspx

Sign of the times. :(

3. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

The second quote makes more sense. Which would point to MS spam guard not working, if it allowed a rogue IM or email to reach you. Maybe deflecting the truth, part of me thinks. Just my opinion :)

You have more than adequate protection on both computers so it would be strange if it (the virus) is still there, or went undetected. Have you removed any infections lately?

I would guess you have been tricked somewhere along the line by some clickjacking and so nothing would show up on your computer. Its just social engineering trickery.

Try using these to prevent any future occurances.

WOT

OpenDNS

Dr.Web LinkCheckers - Scan links inside emails and IM's before clicking

4. tonyf1971

tonyf1971 Registered Member

Thanks folks.

There havent been any infection's removed lately, the machines have been clean for ages.

will add WOT and Dr Web link checker to both her pc's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.