Hotmail takes a tougher stance on spam

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

2. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

That is just typical of Microsoft, forcing their own decisions on the internet community as a whole. Have they not heard of the RFC route for getting changes made?

I wouldn't mind if their aggressive behaviour left us with better systems, but you only need look at Outlook and Outlook Express to see how good their "improved" standards are when put into practise.

It makes me mad, and no, I'm not habitually a Microsoft-basher.

3. pamelajoy

pamelajoy Registered Member

I like Hotmail. So far it has worked well for me. I need to check my junk mail folder to be sure everything I want is getting through. In the past year or so, the spam filtering has been great. Hotmail is a good way to get newsletters because even if your Hotmail address gets out, you don't have to deal with the spam from it.

4. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Same story here, I got hotmail catching 90% of what I consider spam...

and it works with pop3 ... and nod32 :D

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I'd suggest an alias system like SpamGourmet, SneakEmail or SpamMotel as being a better solution since these allow you to give a unique address to every newsletter or website. If you subsequently receive spam, then you can identify who is responsible for "leaking" your address as well as shutting down that alias.

SpamGourmet seems to be the easiest to use (you can create aliases on the fly for your account without having to visit its website) and offers more advanced functionality to block more "sophisticated" spammers (prefixes, watchwords, etc) along with a number of alternative domain names (if you don't want to give your friends an "obvious spamtrap" address).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.