Hotmail delivers aliases to help you manage and secure your email account

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

3326.clip_5F00_image002_5F00_26B9F16A.gif
    "Let’s say you’re in the market for a new car. There are a bunch of websites that will email you price quotes, sales alerts, etc. During your car search, these messages are helpful, but once you’re done, they become clutter that can be difficult to stop. By using an alias on these websites instead of your main email address, you can avoid this. And when you’re done, just turn the alias off, ensuring future unwanted messages that are sent to that alias don’t land in your inbox."​
    Source: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windowslive/archive/2011/02/03/hotmail-delivers-aliases-to-help-you-manage-and-secure-your-email-account.aspx

The Windows Live team has announced that Hotmail now has the ability to use aliases to help you secure and manage your email. With the new feature, you can now manage multiple email aliases with one single Hotmail account. The new feature allows you to create a new unique alias to help sort your email, protect your identity, and best of all, help stop spam.

Free email services are about as plentiful as the fish in the sea, so it's the little features that separate the mundane from the extraordinary. As Microsoft continues its battle with Gmail, this is one more feature that may entice a few users to switch platforms.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/hotmail-now-allows-aliases-to-help-you-secure-your-email-account

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Definitely a great new feature.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Now this is a nice feature :eek:

4. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

ahh great:thumb:

5. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Does it work also from Windows Live Mail 2011 if I would like to write new message from my new alias (account)? Or does it only available from webmail interface?

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Interesting. I have been on hotmail for a very long time now, maybe since the mid-late 90s. In all that time, never once has my spam or filtering worked. If I tell the inbox to only accept mail from those on my contacts list, and all else goes to junk, 1/2 goes to each, somtimes mail from contacts even gets put in junk o_O :blink: o_O . Based on my experience with hotmail, just as much spam will get through, and the great idea will only work half as well as I want.

Anyone else have this issue? I once heard someone state that older accounts for some reason did not work like newer accounts do, but that doesn't seem to make sense to me.

It would be a nice feature if it actually works.

Sul.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Is there a way to change your name only on the alias account?

8. maple55

maple55 Registered Member

nice feature indeed

9. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I'm afraid that it's not possible:
    -http://windowslivehelp.com/thread.aspx?threadid=a977f6bb-8a76-4f3e-9869-ea760a9fe3ca

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.