Hotmail Anti-virus Protection

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Q Section, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    From Hotmail bulletin today: "We're excited to announce the free upgrade to your MSN® Hotmail® service starts today with free Anti-virus Protection!

By using MSN Hotmail, you have the only free global e-mail service to both scan and clean incoming and outgoing e-mail for viruses and worms before they can enter your inbox and risk infecting your PC."

How about that? No further details given.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Found this link.

Later this summer, MSN will begin increasing storage limits for free MSN Hotmail accounts in multiple markets around the world. Users will receive 125 times their current email storage with the introduction of 250MB inboxes and have the ability to send attachments up to 10MB. The upgraded premium Web service called MSN Hotmail Plus will offer 2GB of online storage and the ability to send 20MB attachments, as well as additional offline storage limited by the size of their computer hard drive. All Hotmail users worldwide will receive antivirus service through Network Associates’ McAfee unit and Microsoft will continue providing antispam features in partnership with Brightmail.

3. taperino

taperino Registered Member

Hi,

Well, Hotmail is today offering their new service. Is it safe to use their email protection. I have NOD32 and Zone Alarm and know it doesn't check hotmail, but I'm just wondering since it's new, is it safe to use hotmail's new service w/virus protection?

Thanks, Taperino

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

5. taperino

I haven't yet signed up for the service. I'm wondering if it's okay to sign up for the free service.

Thanks. taperino

6. taperino

Sorry, it looks like the a/v is free and starts today without signup? I have never sent a test virus, and am just leery. The email doesn't show that it's been scanned by hotmail, so if anyone has it and sends a test virus, please let me know if it's working. Thanks, taperino

7. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Guest

I wonder if it will really be 24/7 protection. Quite a few say they offer virus protection, but it is really only between certain hours like 9am to 5pm only, or less often. And what anti-virus are they using to scan the email? Is it a good one?

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

See post#2 :rolleyes:

snowbound

9. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Guest

Mcafee, i guess i should learn how to read.

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

It is soooooo good that after 10 days it was still telling me "no virus found" (the file is safe to download). Nod32 had been picking up the virus upon download from Hotmail for that entire time.

This has now happened several times, it is not a one off occasion. Hotmail offered a upgrade for their "Virus Protection" to protect my PC, yeah right :rolleyes:

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.