Hosts Safe on new SpywareBlaster 2.6.1

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Welshjim, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Welshjim

Welshjim Registered Member

Very pleased with the speed of build 2.6.1.
    However, under Tools|Hosts Safe, when I clicked "Create New Backup" I was unable to load my HOSTS file (message ""No Hosts file detected"), even though the HOSTS file is in the usual C:\Windows directory. Any ideas?
    I run Win98FE.
    Thanks.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The only Windows 9x system I have to test on is an old Windows 95 system, but I am seeing the exact same problem there.

Then on that system I created the directory that the Hosts file is stored in on any NT based system (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\Hosts), and SpywareBlaster did find that file. So, it appears the program may be looking in the NT location on some/all Windows 9x systems.

3. Welshjim

LowWaterMark--thanks for your reply. So what should someone with Win98 do?
    Should I put my HOSTS file into c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\Hosts?? If so, what is the "etc"? Should that be a copy or my only HOSTS file?
    Or is this a bug to be fixed with time?

4. LowWaterMark

No, don't do anything. This is just a bug that Javacool will probably be fixing once he gets a chance. Windows can only use the Hosts file from where it is right now on your system, so a copy to another location would just complicate things. We'll just have to wait to hear from Javacool on a future fix...

5. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hi,

Using 98SE here, SpywareBlaster does successfully create a backup of my host file.

The only host file on this computer is created by Spyblocker and is deleted when that app is shut down. After making the backup, I shut Spyblocker down, made sure the host file was indeed gone, then restored from the saved backup. Checked, and the file was restored.

Info provided FYI only. :)

6. LowWaterMark

Ah, very interesting VIETNAM_VET. Thanks for the inof! So, it appears it is indeed only some Windows 9x systems that have the problem. :doubt: Well, hopefully Javacool can figure out what the circumstances are that cause it.

7. LonnyRJones

LonnyRJones Spyware Expert

Works here to on a win me system..
    I did have a problem with one of the earlyer versions(never mind)
    So now every time I install a newer build I uninstall first then remove the spywareBlaster folder in programs files,
    even then for some reason Spyware Blaster knows how many backups it has made in the past,, why becouse this last one is named
    hostsbak5.bak

Jim did you give it enough time ? how large is it ?
    check to see if one in fact did get made
    C:\Program Files\SpywareBlaster\hostsbakXX.bak

Lonny

8. Welshjim

Lonny Jones--Thanks for the ideas.
    I checked to see if I had a hostbak file, but no luck.
    I was, howver able to make a System Snapshot. So that function is still working.

9. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Were you able to successfully use the Hosts Safe in the past? And what is the full path to your hosts file?

Thanks in advance. :)

-Javacool

10. GL

GL Guest

Hello,
    I have two machines both running win98 SE. My desktop pc finds and backs up the hosts file, my laptop can not find the hosts file, and they are both in the same location under c:\windows\hosts
    Both running 2.6.1
    Very strange

11. Welshjim

javacool--Never tried to backup Hosts before. :doubt:
    Path to my Hosts file is C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS .
    Thanks for your interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.