hosts files

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by rothko, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rothko

rothko Registered Member

hi

i've not used a hosts file before and have been reading up on them and am ready to download and use them...i just dont know which one.

I wont ask the question 'which hosts file is best', but would like to know which one people recommend or which one is deemed to be most comprehensive or most frequently updated.

thanks in advance! Lee

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

The one I use and put on clients pc's is MVPS Hosts

The webpage tells more about it and how to use it :)

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

MVPS Hosts File :
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    MVPS is the best IMHO.

Bluetack Hosts File :
    http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=8406
    Bluetack Hosts is MUCH LARGER, but my intuition tells me that this hosts file contains alot of websites, that don't belong in a hosts file.
    When a website only installs tracking cookies and nothing more, then it does NOT belong in a host file.
    You don't blacklist a website for a tracking cookie, you blacklist websites, when they install adware/spyware on your computer.
    Since I have read that some members visit websites, that are blacklisted in Bluetack and had no bad experience at all with these websites, I don't trust Bluetack anymore.

WARNING:
    If you use MS Anti-Spyware (MSAS) with Bluetack Hosts File, MSAS will have a much longer scan time.
    You can avoid this by renaming the hosts file temporary, but that is not a solution IMO.

Of course you can create your own Hosts File, but I don't have the time for this.

Watch your post for awhile because members need time to reply.
    MVPS and Bluetack aren't the only hosts files on the net.

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I use Bluetack, it also has a very nice manager which makes downloading and installing simple. See step 14 in the link of my signature, as well there is a tutorial on how to set up a hosts file.

Cheers :D

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

One caveat: if you access websites via a proxy server (or an anonymising proxy system such as JAP or Tor) then Hosts files may have no effect - this is because all webpage access goes via the proxy (and its IP address) which then does any domain lookups required (i.e. the proxy itself would need to have the Hosts file installed, which is unlikely).

6. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi Folks

Curious on this subject as like Lee I've tried to do a bit of research but finding it a bit confusing.

Only discovered by trialling Online Armour that I even had a hosts file from when I installed Spybot, at a time that I knew even less than I do now !

Is the Spybot Hosts file sufficient and therefore leave well alone or are others better ?

I've just had a look at Bluetack's site and I like the sound of the Hosts Manager - makes it sound simple.

It recommends replacing any existing Hosts file - in your opinion should I get rid of Spybots and replace with Bluetacks ?

I don't want to complicate things by having more than one really.

Cheers

Jon

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Here are some alternative Hosts file websites to those above:

http://remember.mine.nu/ [WinXP: disable DNS Client service]
    http://www.dozleng.com/hpguru/
    http://www.richardthelionhearted.com/Hosts/index.htm

I use the one from remember.mine.nu. Its about 1.2MB is size, and on WinXP Pro SP2 requires the DNS Client service be disabled which means the difference between 3min vs 30sec dialup login to my ISP, or bootup time.

The Spybots Hosts is an addendum appended to the end of an existing hosts file, not a substitute for a hosts file.

-- Tom

8. Old Monk

Hi Tom

Thanks for your reply.

If Sybot Hosts is simply an addendum are you saying I may not have a Hosts file as such ? Presumably that being the case I really should get a comprehensive one.

Online Armour seems to recognise the Spybot file as Hosts file

Is it because it sits where a genuine Hosts file would be ?

I'm more confused than ever now ? :doubt:

Any further thoughts ?

Cheers

Jon

9. Blackspear

Setting up a Hosts File

After post number 2 you can download the Bluetack Hosts file through its Manager. This will get you started and heading in the right direction regarding a Hosts file, after this you can experiment with various other products.

Hope this helps...

10. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Jon,

I suppose if one does not have a hosts file to begin with, they could try to just add the Spybot hosts file and my guess is that it would probably work.

My hosts file already existed when I discovered that Spybot could add to it, and checking the hosts file afterwards noted that the Spybot entries were added to the end.

I would expect Spybot to determine where to add its list by knowing what the OS version is, and put its entries in the hosts file whereever it exists, or create a hosts file if one does not exist in the proper place.

-- Tom

11. Old Monk

Thanks Blackspear, Thanks Tom

Much clearer now. I'll see how I get on from your thread Blackspear.

Cheers

Jon

12. Blackspear

Let us know how you go...

13. Old Monk

........... Hmmm......been a I while I know but not sure how I've got on really.

Downloaded hosts file from Bluetack and seemed to be ok. Appears to sit where it should but it doesn't appear as a Hosts file in Spybot - should it ? Also, can't add Spybots Hosts file -cannot find path specified. Have I missed something ? Is there a simple way of testing that my Hosts file is working ? I guess by trying to visit one of the blocked sites. I hope not

Any insight most welcome.

PS. What's stopping me adding quote tags and Smilies on my posts ? Is it forbidding Java Script in Firefox ? Can't think what else I've done recently.

Cheers

Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.