Hosts file not working...

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Blackspear, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

Correct ... Your PC queries the Host file before the outbound HTTP request is made, to resolve the DNS. Which is seen as a Local file ... hence the request is automatically re-directed as a loop back, which has no bearing on a proxy, as the proxy is only filtering inbound/outbound HTTP Traffic. They are completely different / unconnected processess.

HTH, ;)

Steve

2. Howard

Howard Registered Member

The Hosts file you were using was for the Mac OS and is available, along with the Hosts file for Win32/Linux, at http://webpages.charter.net/hpguru/hosts/

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

LOL, no wonder it was back to front ;) :D

Cheers :D

4. dog

dog Guest

Hi BS and All, ;)

If anyone is still undersure that these aren't connected (Host File & Proxomitron), and that they do play well together. You can do a simple test to confirm that, that is indeed the case. (I only added this as added info: I Know everyone that has posted in this thread does have an understanding ;) )
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________​

These instructions are for Windows XP ... If you are unsure in anyway what you are doing, it'd probably be best to Not proceed, if you still wish to proceed - Print all the instructions below; because if you do succeed with the "Add Stage" you won't be able to connect to Wilders', until you reverse the chages with the "Restore Stage", so you won't be able to receive help to resolve any problems, here @ Wilders.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________​

Add Stage:

Navigate to: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
    Open HOST with notepad
    Add this line : 127.0.0.1 www.wilderssecurity.com (directly under 127.0.0.1 localhost - for convenience ***Don't modify anything else***)
    Save the file (It will save as HOST.txt)
    Delete HOST (in the same directory - the one with NO extension)
    Right-click HOST.txt - Select "rename" delete the .txt extension (you will get a confirmation popup; select "Yes")

Test Stage:

Try to Connect to Wilders' Security Forums - You will get a message that the browser was unable to connect. The Host File did it's job. :)

Restore Stage:

Navigate to: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
    Open HOST with notepad
    Delete this line : 127.0.0.1 www.wilderssecurity.com (directly under 127.0.0.1 localhost - where you saved it for convenience :p ***Don't modify anything else***)
    Save the file (It will save as HOST.txt)
    Delete HOST (in the same directory - the one with NO extension)
    Right-click HOST.txt - Select "rename" delete the .txt extension (you will get a confirmation popup; select "Yes")

Test Stage 2: Try again to connect to Wilders'

~Welcome Back Home~ ;)

*Note* If you do get stuck at all after the "Add Stage", and can't correct the problem using the "Restore Stage", download either MVPs, or HpGuru Host file ... and extract it to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and the Wilders' entry you added will be gone, once the host is overwritten. I didn't mention this as a solution for the restore stage, as I modify my Host file manually (as I'm sure many of you do), and I don't wish to lose changes I've made.

MVPs Host - http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    HpGuru's Host - http://webpages.charter.net/hpguru/hosts/

:ninja: *puppy* :ninja:

5. dog

dog Guest

6. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I think you are right, but perhaps explaining it a little less than clearly... (at least to the way I first read it).

The problem being, the way you told the story, it sounds like a hosts file is not working with a proxy - not being a 'doze expert - isn't this the wrong way for any system to work - ie, shouldn't a hosts file over-ride any settings from the outside - ummm like from a proxy? Yes - and - No...

The problem with installing a proxy is that it means that you are no longer dealing directly with problem site - you deal with the proxy and that is in effect by-passing the blocked sites in your hosts file, as you aren't receiving data from said site, but rather it comes from your proxy.

There should be a way of knowing what the original source of the data is - even if it came from a proxy - and there isn't (to my knowledge) using 'doze.

If you have a proxy, you need to be able to configure the blocklists on it - ie, setup a squid proxy or something in-house.

External proxies are only as good as how they are run... if you trust them, that's good - if you prefer to handle your own blocking, you need to not have a proxy - but preventing some malware installing a proxy is another issue....

7. freeload101

freeload101 Registered Member

I wrote a few cool scripts for windows to help protect users
    Full writeup is here http://rmccurdy.com/email.html

rar sfx/zips
    hosts.exe : Host list installer to block ads AUTO UPDATE
    quickclean.exe : Cleans all Temp files and startups
    quicknorton.exe: Quick Norton Scan AUTO UPDATES TO LATEST DEFINITIONS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.