Hosts file detection issue

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Evil Homer, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil Homer

Evil Homer Registered Member

Spyware blaster 3.4/ WIN XP SP2

Dear Javacool/forum dudes,

Couldn't find any discussion of the following issue in Spyware Blaster forum pages, program help pages or FAQs.

I have a hosts file installed via Spybot V1.4 B2, however when using Spyware Blaster's hosts safe function to "create new backup" I get the message "no hosts file detected"

Should SWB detect the Spybot hosts file? Or, alternatively should I install the hosts file from HPHOSTS download page??

I’d appreciate any ideas.
    Evil Homer

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Would you see if you have a Hosts file in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder.

Since Spybot V1.4 B2 is no longer in Beta....it's probably proper to say....there was an issue with the Beta version whereby if a Hosts file did not exist prior to creating one with Spybot it would place it in the wrong location. That would then cause Spywareblaster to give the message...."no hosts file detected". If by chance you do not choose to upgrade....we can discuss alternatives of how to possibly fix this issue.

I suggest you consider un-installing the beta version properly and download\install the FINAL release of Spybot v1.4

Related thread---> [RC2] Missing Hosts File Folder Location

3. Evil Homer

Thanks for your reply Bubba. :rolleyes:

After my post (but prior to receiving your reply) I did check the Windows\System32\Drivers\etc folder and found that there was no hosts file (huho_O).

I couldn’t figure out why the SBS&D hosts file was not present; however after reading your reply it seems that the problem was indeed Spybot 1.4 beta incorrectly locating the Hosts file as you suggested (it had stuck it in the C:\Windows folder). I have therefore uninstalled the 1.4Beta and installed the 1.4 final version.

All of which still leaves me with one question though:

Before reading your reply I had installed the hpHOSTS file (happily SWB immediately recognised/found the hpHOSTS file). What I'm still wondering about though is what happens with both the hpHOSTS file and the SBS&D hosts file present/activated in my system?

There is only one Hosts file present in my Windows\System32\Drivers\etc folder - so does this mean that the hpHOSTS and SBS&D host files have automatically merged? Or, if not, should I merge them manually (and is this a good idea anyway).

Thanks for your advice,
    Evil Homer

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  4. Evil Homer

I think I've found the answer to my [above] question in the following Spybot support forum post :eek: :

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=30858&hl=hosts

For those interested, it seems that a manually inserted hosts file (such as hpHOSTS or MVPS) can be used as a sort of primary or reference Hosts file. The "Add Spybot-S&D Hosts List" function can then be used as an automated tool to append the Spybot Hosts file to the existing manually installed primary Hosts file (hpHOSTS, MVPS or whatever).

You're system will still [obviously] only have a single Hosts file (just that the Spybot hosts file will now have been automatically merged into/added to the end of the existing primary Hosts file).

Anyway, check out the details at the forum link above if required.

Cheers,
    Evil Homer

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.