Hosts file blocking Windows activation

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Chiana, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chiana

Chiana Registered Member

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have found that the Bluetack hosts file is blocking Windows activation. I realise that I can rename the file temporarily to complete activation, but was just wondering why this site is added to the hosts file - what's MS up to now, if anything? ;) :ninja:

Thanks for any replies.

Regards

Chiana

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Chiana,

For my own future reference....which URL is MS using for activation ?

3. Chiana

Chiana Registered Member

Hi Bubba,

Good question, not sure how to find out. It's the Windows XP Home or Pro OEM activation process, which appears via a pop-up box.

Regards

Chiana

4. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi Chiana, I would suggest opening your HOSTS file and then doing a search for MSN. Microsoft etc. You should be able to quickly and easily identify the culprit/s. Just add a number/letter on the end of the ones you suspect and then try to connect. After you've established the correct one/s just go back and undo the others and then delete the problem one/s.

A really useful App that i have is HostsToggle V 2.1

HostsToggle makes turning the Hosts file "on" and "off" as easy as clicking a button. http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/HostsToggle/

Let me know if it helps any.

StevieO

5. Chiana

Chiana Registered Member

Hi StevieO,
    There are a lot of MSN, Microsoft entries in the hosts file. Trouble is, I would suspect all of them so identifying the MS activation entry would involve quite a bit of time. I was hoping someone would already know the site URL.

Appreciate your suggestion, might give it a go when time allows.

Regards

Chiana

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.