Hosts file blocking Windows activation

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Chiana, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chiana

Chiana Registered Member

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have found that the Bluetack hosts file is blocking Windows activation. I realise that I can rename the file temporarily to complete activation, but was just wondering why this site is added to the hosts file - what's MS up to now, if anything? ;) :ninja:

Thanks for any replies.

Regards

Chiana

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Chiana,

For my own future reference....which URL is MS using for activation ?

3. Chiana

Chiana Registered Member

Hi Bubba,

Good question, not sure how to find out. It's the Windows XP Home or Pro OEM activation process, which appears via a pop-up box.

Regards

Chiana

4. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi Chiana, I would suggest opening your HOSTS file and then doing a search for MSN. Microsoft etc. You should be able to quickly and easily identify the culprit/s. Just add a number/letter on the end of the ones you suspect and then try to connect. After you've established the correct one/s just go back and undo the others and then delete the problem one/s.

A really useful App that i have is HostsToggle V 2.1

HostsToggle makes turning the Hosts file "on" and "off" as easy as clicking a button. http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/HostsToggle/

Let me know if it helps any.

StevieO

5. Chiana

Chiana Registered Member

Hi StevieO,
    There are a lot of MSN, Microsoft entries in the hosts file. Trouble is, I would suspect all of them so identifying the MS activation entry would involve quite a bit of time. I was hoping someone would already know the site URL.

Appreciate your suggestion, might give it a go when time allows.

Regards

Chiana

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.