hosts file block (certain times)

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by treehouse786, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

does anyone know if its possible to use the hosts file to block websites at certain times? i know you can by other means but i want to know if its possible with the hosts file. thanks

2. treehouse786

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

What you can do - to my knowledge - is have two different hosts files, and switch between them accordingly.

Or, are you looking for something specific that I'm failing to understand? What do you mean with "certain time"?

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Can I ask why?

OT Most routers are able to schedule blocking websites.

5. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

You can use Acrylic DNS Proxy(it has its own AcrylicHosts.txt) and use Windows Task Scheduler to switch between Acrylic and DNS of your choice.

-http://mayakron.altervista.org/support/browse.php?path=Acrylic&name=Configuration

-http://www.petri.co.il/configure_tcp_ip_from_cmd.htm

6. treehouse786

reason being that i want to block websites on certain computers on the same network without using any 3rd party software. its seems as if the task scheduler trick is the way to go.

not all routers can apply block actions to certain computers on the same network so i cant go the router route.

thanks guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.