Hoster and DNS client service

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by lodore, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi, i just used hoster to use the mvps hosts file.
    but im not sure how the Dns client service works.
    on the mvps site it says you should put the service to manual instead of the default disabled.
    and it said that if windows finds a hosts file it will start the service and use the hosts file. but i have put the service to manual and i am using the mvps hosts file but the service isnt started.
    how does it work?
    basically i downloaded Hoster clicked on download mvps hosts file then clicked replace it downloaded and over writed the old one.
    then i put the dns client service to manual and rebooted my pc.
    so what else do I need to do so the windows uses the hosts file?
    i thought after i did the things above when i start using the internet windows would find the hosts file and start the dns client service and then check against the hosts file but it doesnt so i need to do more.
    (notice to mods move this to the right forum)
    thanks in advance
    lodore

2. Mem

Mem Registered Member

The DNS Service should not be started when using a hosts file for ad/parasite blocking. You can leave it disabled or set to manual.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

how do i know when the hosts file is being used then?
    lodore

4. Mem

Mem Registered Member

The hosts file will be used unless you are using a proxy. The DNS Client service caches the DNS into memory for speedier access if the host file is small. Once it gets large (an arbitrary number but mvps uses about >135kb) then it can slow down the lookup process.

edit: you can check the use of the host file by trying to go to a site... like doubleclick.com and it should be blocked.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@mem
    well that site was blocked lol.
    so it must be working.
    lodore

6. Mem

Mem Registered Member

One thing I noticed - you have KIS 6. Is the anti-banner active? If so, that may be blocking it. Also, I believe doubleclick.net is a better site to test with.

Try to disable your KIS anti-banner and try again (doubleclick.net) to ensure the host file blocking is working.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@mem
    your right i do have antibanner on.
    i will try that site.
    i turned off antibanner and it still says connection to server was reset while trying to load the page.
    so im guessing its working?
    lodore

8. Mem

Mem Registered Member

Yes. BTW, I just turned off my host file blocking and adblock plus extension to check the KIS 6 anti-banner and doubleclick.net came through after clearing the cache. I'll have to look into that a little more to check it out.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@mem ok post back when you find out more.
    I didnt think about adblock stopping it.
    lodore

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

KIS's anti-banner is simply that, an anti-banner. i wouldnt expect it to block entry to a site like a HOSTS file would.

11. Mem

Mem Registered Member

That seems correct WSFuser. The KIS def's will not block the site if taken to it... so any blocking is by the host file in this case. :)

Edit: further update.... (see below, sorry)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  12. Mem

Mem Registered Member

After a little more checking since I thought KAV had blocked site access in the past, changing the report logs in KAV to report all and a restart, it seems that KAV anti-spy is blocking the site. I have removed the mpvs host file and doubleclick.net is blocked when trying to access the site.

Attached Files:

13. toadbee

toadbee Registered Member

For testing whether or not your hosts file is "working" - Do a simple ping from your command shell using one of the sites in your hosts file. The 'badsite.com' should be reported as IP 127.0.0.1 if things are set up properly (or 0.0.0.0 if thats how you are setup).

Attached Files:

14. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@toadbee sedoparking did come up as P 127.0.0.1
    i just found a problem with host files if it uses google ad services to give the link its blocked lol.
    thanks
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.