Hosted SIMs for privacy

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by mirimir, Aug 9, 2018.

1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I've learned how to create social media accounts using hosted SIMs for privacy. It's true that the SIM host sees your activation code. But that process isn't really secure, in any case. And I don't believe that it lets them hack your account, because it's a one-time code.

Anyway, I used https://speedyverify.com from the Philippines. To create an account, you must provide email and contact information, including a telephone number. But they don't seem to verify that, and they accept Bitcoin. SIM cards (aka mobile numbers) cost $5 each, and are used only for you. Each verification costs $1, and you can buy 10 credits for $10.

Before creating your social media account, you login at SpeedyVerify, and start a chat with support. You tell them which mobile number you'll be using. Then you create the account, with mobile authentication. SpeedyVerify support will give you the authentication code. There's also an API, which can handle bulk authentication.

2. __Nikopol

__Nikopol Registered Member

But you don't get the actual card? It's virtual?

3. mirimir

No, you don't get it. And if you did, you'd need to use it in a phone. Which is impossible to do without revealing your location.

But they are physical SIMs. They use hardware that holds numerous SIMs, and basically uses them in virtual smartphones. Search for "SIM hosting rack" and you'll see what I mean.

4. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

This is hilarious, I love it!

Mind you, it's sticking one up to the mobile phone operators who have always been restricting facilities consumers use by being desperate to tie the phone number to the phone hardware to the contract with the user - maximising their profits, and completely different to the situation with Voip where you can virtualise your POTS number.

5. mirimir

Indeed. I wonder how many SIMs SpeedyVerify is managing. It could be many thousands, or more. And how many similar operations there are.

And these people are clearly geared up for mass authentication. I suspect that this industry is behind numerous bots on Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Even better would be virtual smartphones, available via remote desktop, each with its own SIM. I believe that SIMs are usable remotely, so one can imagine them like VPN exits. Except to telephone networks, rather than to the Internet.

6. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Even wittier would be virtual smartphones running Android that reported fictitious GPS readings....

I think this class of service has originated from mass marketing operations - likely distasteful SMS spam operations. The authentication service would be an extension of that to diversify their business.

7. mirimir

Yes, these are probably not nice people. But hey, for me, they provided a useful service :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.