Host Protection

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Rico, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi All,

Does AVG A/S offer direct protection of HOST file?

Thanks
    rico

2. karl.ewido

karl.ewido former ewido team

The AVG AntiSpyware software does not protect the whole Host file, it checks the Host file for suspicious entries that would deny the update process of the AVG software.

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Karl,

Thank you for responding. Can it still check the file if its set to "Read Only?"

Take Care
    rico

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

It should be able to, all it does is read the Host file to check that it contains no adverse entries. It would only need to 'write' if it found an entry directing it away from the correct adress. But try it and see!

I'm not sure what 'locking' the Hosts file actually means, because it seems to me that malware could still overwrite a locked, 'read-only' file and replace it with an ammended 'bad' version. In any case applications can still edit and delete within a 'read-only' Hosts file, so it is only offering partial protection. That is why apps like WinPatrol, CounterSpy etc monitor the file for changes. Though I believe the protection from ZA's 'locking' is stronger than mere read-only protection (but I don't know what it entails!). Similarly, SpywareBlaster offers you the chance to store a copy of your Hosts file and use it as a replacement if your original should become corrupted by malware.

However, the above notwithstanding, AVG-AS should still be able to correct its own entries.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.