Host process for Windows Services FW prompts

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Aug, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug

Aug Registered Member

Greetings,

I don't claim to be such of a firewall expert but I do prefer to run this suite in interactive mode as I just prefer seeing and choosing what traffic leaves my machine. However, when in interactive mode I continue to receive both inbound and outbound prompts for "Host process for Windows Services" Even if I select to remember the action, I continue to get prompts. I really notice getting a flurry of these shortly after the PC boots up. Is there a ruleset someone can recommend to help with these prompts? I'd prefer to leave this in this mode.

Running Vista x64 and I am behind a router (perhaps that is the culprit for the prompts).

2. poepoe2797

poepoe2797 Registered Member

This is actually why I left the firewall in automatic mode for now. I get annoyed when that same process tries to connect and the firewall bugs me multiple times for it. I have no idea why it keeps trying to access the internet, and why it asks each time.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'd suggest checking the rule list to see how many rules for "Host process for Windows Services" are actually created.

4. Aug

Aug Registered Member

I checked the log and I had 5 instances of the rule. All appeared the same and were only differentiated by (1), (2), (3) and so forth. I just created a custom rule to allow everything for svchost.exe and this seems to have done the trick. Just don't understand the repeated prompts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.