Host File

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Rico, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi All,

Can PG be used to protect the host file, if so how?

Thanks
    rico

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

afaik it wont protect the HOSTS file.

it only blocks executables from being modified.

3. Red Dawn

Red Dawn Registered Member

Rico, you can do that yourself, just set the attributes for the host file to READ ONLY... that's all you need... :D

4. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Messrs Fuser, RedDawn:

Is that all ZA & SpySweeper did was to set it to read only? I no longer use those apps.. ZA had "Lock Hosts" & SS had something similar. So those two apps would not provide further protection, than just read only? I use MVP's Hosts file + I have Hosters which easily make Hosts writeable/read only. I did find Spywareblaster makes a protected backup of HOSTS file, but this seems of little value, as you go on line & just get a new one.

Thanks
    rico

5. Red Dawn

Hi Rico, I also use the MVP host file, but add some things myself every once in a while, and then just set the attribute to READ ONLY, which is what ZA and SPYsweeper do. You can do what you wish with the host file, make changes or what not, then set it back to READ ONLY, and the file will be protected, junk won't be able to write to it, so you'll be safe from that stand point.

6. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Red Dawn,

Thanks for the info., I thought SS or ZAP, would do something beyond changing the files attributes.

Thanks Again
    rico

7. Red Dawn

No problem Rico, only thing done by ZAP or SS is the attribute, so your safe either way, going manually and doing it yourself, or letting those programs do it for you. Good luck m8..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.