Horrendous network performance only against SnapServer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dhcernese, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhcernese

dhcernese Registered Member

My PC is running Windows XP Pro SP3,

I have recently switched from Symantec LiveState Recovery Desktop 3.0 to
    Acronis True Image Home v11 8101 on my system. I was previously doing all my backups with LiveState Recovery to a SnapServer 2200 NAS raid mirror.

If I use True Image to backup to an ubuntu samba server raid mirrored disks, I get ~8-9MB/s on a 100Mb/s link. So that confirms my desktop and True Image and my network appear to be as expected.

If I test a simple file copy to my SnapServer raid mirror disks, I usually get ~4.5MB/s, just like LiveState Recovery was able to do.

If I use True Image to backup to the SnapServer, the network performance drops to the unexplainably low speed of ~80KB/s. Yes, "K".

I even tried copying a file and then starting a backing up at the same time, only while True Image is running does the network bandwidth drop through the floor!

There's something very ineffencient about True image writing to the SnapServer that makes it completely useless! Does anyone have a clue what it is? Is there something I can change in True image?

[Acronis #1656479] <-- original request for help
    [Acronis #1663389] <-- better description copied from here

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dhcernese,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

If the device supports FTP mode, please try using it that way to back up to it.

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the problem thoroughly?

Please collect the application log of the operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the corresponding log;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Please also collect the exact vendor and device names of the NAS in question.

Please send the collected information with a reply to the message with Acronis request number you received. To expedite the resolution we recommend you to use our Live Chat service after that. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. dhcernese

dhcernese Registered Member

~5-7MB/s using ftp, why is writing using windows (SMB?) so slow?

It's a Snap Appliance SnapServer 2200.. ..recently bought (yet again) by Overland Storage.

Code:
    Model         Software        Hardware  Server #  BIOS  
    2000 series   4.0.830 (US)    2.0.4     820421    3.4.758

I will be away travelling for a couple weeks, so I can follow-up with the reply and live chat when I return. Log (pretty bland) attached.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.