Hope this is an easy-to-ID problem...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jayzzz, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Messages like the one I've attached are making it nearly impossible to use my husband's computer, running Win98. It's gotten worse, rather than better, since yesterday, when I gave his system the critical updates he didn't get since 2001 until yesterday.

I used Google to hunt down info about different things cited in the message, but I can't merge the info into understanding how to identify and fix the problem.

When the window shown is moved, it leaves very compressed "acid trails." By that, I mean a move of an inch on-screen might seem to show 10 edges of that same window, as if one behind the other.

This was happening only occasionally before the updating, but now it's nuts. All I did, to get the message in the picture was go to www.yahoo.com (using his machine) for a "test drive," and I got dumped...again...almost right away. The machine seems to not do it at one site visit, then do it several pages in, then do it closer and closer to the first page with each attempt, as if gradually reducing site access.

He's been planning to replace the computer. Then, two days ago he got a new Harley. So he'd now like the 'puter to go on a bit more until he has time and interest for choosing and configuring a new computer. He needs it to do be functional and do tasks for his schoolwork and research, but will be spending more time on the fsxti softail--riding and modifying from standard--than on-line, for awhile.
    <<vroom...vroom :D >>

Sure would be grateful (albeit unable to prove it with one or more cookies) if anybody can help me. mj

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2004
  2. Basic

Basic Guest

Don't know if it will help but try repairing IE. Go to Start then Programs then Accessories then System Tools then System Information. Once it is launched select Tools then Internet Explorer Repair Tool and select Repair IE. Follow instructions from there.

Hope this helps.

You might want to install a alternative browser for your surfing enjoyment like Firefox and use IE for updates. Firefox is a good alternative imho. It gives the feel of IE without IE's insecurities.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Another thing that might help is to re-install Windows 98, don't reformat and re-install since that will remove all his programs and updates, just a re-install. Since win 98 has been on his system for years there might be some file degradation.

3. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Thank you! :cool: I'll give repairing IE a try, and if that doesn't do the trick will find out where his Win98 disk is to do a reinstall w/o a reformat. It's a shame that the error message apparently doesn't specify the file causing the problem, so just that one could be replaced. Then again, with the low level of maintenance the machine has had, it wouldn't be surprising if more than one file is corrupt, so IE probably needs repair on general principle! :p

I've mentioned alternative browsers and I think he's beginning to see that it might be worth whatever inconvenience is involved in learning something new.

Would anyone who has switched from IE to Firefox (or Opera) be willing to tell me how long it took them to become competent & comfortable with the new software? That info would be very helpful when discussing it with "Mr. I-don't-have-time-to-learn-now." ;) mj

4. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Re: Wish this was an easy-to-ID problem...

Well, the IE repair didn't eliminate the error message. It replaced a couple of icons, and it put back the Alexa item and the two bookmarks that I removed with AdAware after M$N included them with the Critical Updates installed the other day.

I'm sure it's naive of me to be surprised that M$N would be distributing Alexa garbage, so I'll not comment further on that.

If we reinstall Win98, it will have to be from the D drive because it didn't come on a diskette with that computer. Since the IE repair a few hours ago, ALL windows that aren't maximized and are able to move around on the desktop have the trails, or partial duplicates of themselves with edges showing, if moved across the desktop. I didn't move any windows before, keeping all maximized, so I don't know if this is a new behaviour or not.

Is it significant or meaningful that Netscape Navigator is a functional browser in that same computer while IE is not? It's not an acceptable option for a permanent browser, but at least he's not completely crippled by the IE error messages until it gets straightened out....mj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.