homemade pfSense firewall/vpn client

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by fedupfred, Mar 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fedupfred

fedupfred Registered Member

I would like to set up an old p4 PC as a firewall/vpn client using pfSense. I'm using cyberghostvpn. I've got a few wired devices and a few wifi devices, so I want the internet to connect into to one ethernet port of the p4 box and go out a 2nd NIC of the p4 box to a wireless router, something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WBX5ES/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Here's a diagram of what my setup would look like (note the Ooma is a voip device):

comcast modem/router>>Ooma>>p4 Box>>wireless router

I would like to know what I need to learn before setting all this up.
    Just assume I'm a noob on most intermediate networking knowledge and even some of the basics.

This VPN also has a windows client that has a feature that automatically picks the fastest server in a given country, or at least the most optimal one. Is there a way to do this in this pfSense box I'm about to set up? Also I'd like to know how to block traffic not going through the VPN, so that if the VPN goes down, there can be no traffic through the p4 box, and it should attempt to reconnect to the VPN continually until a connection is made successfully.

My internet speed is generally around 20mbps down, though on these servers they can range from 60mbps down to 3mbps down, depending on where the server is.

2. fedupfred

fedupfred Registered Member

Could a mod please move this thread to the newbie section?

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

There is no new users section ;)

What you want is easily doable.

Check out Hardware Selection at http://pfsense.org/. It's best to use Intel or Broadcom NICs. pfSense doesn't work well with at least some Realtek NICs. A P4 box might have enough CPU, but it might be marginal, and might limit VPN throughput. You only need 1 GB RAM, and 2 GB HDD.

If your P4 box has an AGP or PCI expansion bus, you may find compatible used server-class Intel NICs at low prices. But make sure to get the right cards for the bus type. Also, I've found that at least some PCIe 1.0 Intel NICs don't work in PCIe 2.0 slots.

For the VPN, you can follow generally my instructions for pfSense VMs at https://www.ivpn.net/privacy-guides/advanced-privacy-and-anonymity-part-6. Just ignore the bits about VirtualBox.

I don't know of a way to have pfSense find the best VPN servers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.