Home Security Consultant

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by blinking_spirit, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blinking_spirit

blinking_spirit Registered Member

Uncertain if this is the right thread, but I'm going to wing it :)

The other day I sent an email to one of my groups (just a bunch of friends) where I am the "guru" with IT security. Background: I'm no guru, just an avid hobbyist

The email dealt with how to setup one's router using Norton's DNS - some email ago I gave some general tips on IT security and one of them was "protecting the family" through DNS. Anyway, after the email was sent I started wondering the market out there for doing this as a potential revenue earner.

What are your thoughts on something like that? How qualified should one be when dealing with home security? Have any of you had experiences earning additional income doing something like this?

Thanks!

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Unfortunately you would become liable for any problems the customer has, even if it is their fault. This is why I don't do any side work. I get tired of hearing from people that expect you to fix their problems for free from then forward because, well, you worked on it once, it was ok until you messed with it. :ouch:

If you want to do stuff like that on the side be prepared to address these issues before you even start. Set firm pricing and have rules for handling callbacks. Beyond that if you don't mind people constantly bugging you with computer issues (which they may already be doing) there is some potential to make a little money. As for myself, I don't even like people to know what I do. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.