Home Lan antivirus strategy

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by NoIos, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Hi,
    I'd like to ask:
    On a home lan, security wise, is it better to have the same antivirus on every machine or install a different antivirus on each pc. I know that there are other factors too...like usage type..rest of security software installed...etc. But if we say that the rest is equal what is the best strategy? Also consider that licenses like the home site license of Vipre and f-prot can make me save some money.

Thank you.

Optional...I don't want to waste your time but it would be great if you reply:

Since these days I'm on the market...and it's time to pick and pay...if someone has the time to suggest an antivirus for each of my PCs...that would be great. Consider that all of them will have installed OA/Comodo *there will be a mix* as firewall. The rest of the security setup...several free on demand scanners...I don't know yet if I will use a dedicated hips.

2 general usage laptops (winxp pro)(older machines) (these machines need something light / till now had no issues with Avira 8 free + Comodo)
    *** the rest of the pcs have enough ram and cpu power ( minimum ram is 2GB, so no worries about how light an antivirus is ) ***
    1 laptop for dev php, c++, c# (vista)
    1 HTPC, only multimedia files get in (vista)
    1 file server...using vista...but only for storage.
    1 gaming machine (mainly steam games...but nocd cracks could appear sometimes). (vista)
    1 my wife's pc...the main entrance for the malware in my lan. (vista)
    1 pc used mainly for multimedia conversions and video editing. (vista)
    The rest...general usage desktops. (xp pro and linux)(older machines)
    Total 10 PCs.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Back in they days i used to take advantage of the multi license deals like f-prot offers for protecting all the home computers. It was cheap and effective. These days money isn't as much of an issue for me so i run different products on different computers as i feel this gives me a better range of protection. If something is missed by one product it might be detected by another. Basically on every computer i run an anti-malware product and some kind of easy to use hips. Personally i've found the most effective solution to home network security is to teach the family to practice safe hex :).

3. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

farmerlee thanks for your reply. I think I'll have to do a good mix of antiviruses around my lan too.

4. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

Personally, the ideal would be to have the same AV on every machine (or at least from the same manufacturer). If you find one that works and you are comfortable with, why run different types if you think you have "the best" (unless you are an enthusiast like many of us and want to try stuff out)?

5. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Cost/benefit perspective, its just so much cheaper with multipacks. The only situation I can imagine where it may be better to have different AVs is where you have a worm that spreads via a windows exploit inside your lan and if one AV picks it up and another doesn't.

6. tokatee

tokatee Registered Member

Farmerlee's strategy of multiple AVs would be best. The old saying of "don't put all of your eggs in one basket" has a lot of wisdom in its meaning. Likewise, the same goes for computers and networking. The more layers you have of protection, the better.

7. tokatee

tokatee Registered Member

Your optional stuff you requested:

For your wife's computer ESET's ESS v4.

This goes against my advise above, but ESET Enterprise with ESS v4 on all computers. Or Nod32 with OA.

Otherwise:

A mix of the free stuff for the lesser used systems - Avast, AVG, Avira with OA.

For your more important computers, I would give the Free Trial Versions from the major players a spin around the block and see which ones you like best - ESET, Hauri, Sophos, Kaspersky, McAfee, etc.

Accompany this with an assortment of free Anti-Malware apps.

8. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

thanks tokatee and all you guys for your suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.