HMRC CD Issues

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by sbcco, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbcco

sbcco Registered Member

I've just received and installed the HMRC (UK tax office) CD for 2010-11. When I use it, there are two unexpected events:

1) It only shows the first name in the employee database. I know there are more there because they're in the database it imports and, if I delete the name showing it then gives me the next one.

2) If I try to add an employee, it doesn't show the form to enter the details.

I installed and ran the software on three different PCs (one with Vista Business, one with XP Professional and one with Windows 7 Professional - all patched to latest version) and got the same behaviour. The only common feature I could think of was that all three fun NOD32 AV4 (again, all patched to latest).

So I disabled NOD32 under Setup (all four parts) and the above problems were resolved. By a process of elimination, it's the Web access protection that causes the problem - Real-time file system, Document and Email client protection make no difference.

So, I can now run the HMRC program by disabling Web access protection - but that can only be a temporary measure. Does anyone know what setting to apply within the configuration that will allow me to set and forget (without leaving that whole part disabled?

TIA,
    Steve

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Try installing EAV 4.2. If it doesn't help, exclude the application communication from content filtering in the HTTP scanner setup.

3. sbcco

sbcco Registered Member

Marcos,

Isn't 4.2 still in beta - I don't really want to go that way at the moment.

When you say "exclude the application communication from content filtering in the HTTP scanner setup" - can you tell me where and how? I've not really tinkered with the NOD32 setup much - other than disabling the scan that ran every time I booted up my PC, it's very much as the default install.

Steve

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

5. sbcco

sbcco Registered Member

THat link looks like it might help. Unfortunately, the part about web browsers which I need isn't in the setup tree on my system! "Active mode" is a child of "HTTP, HTTPS", cutting out "Web Browsers".

The program causing problems is listed in "Active mode"; it's unchecked - if I check it the program actually reports an error, so we're probably looking in the right place. I guess I need another way to remove it from the list.

FYI I'm running NOD32 AV 4.0.474.0.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

V. 4.2 has a section called excluded applications where you can exclude specific applications from content filtering. Since no serious issues were found during beta testing, it will be released shortly with certain minor fixes that were basically present in previous release versions.

7. sbcco

sbcco Registered Member

Thanks - will wait for 4.2 to get released and try an upgrade. Will just need to disable the web side when running the program for the time being.

I hope it will upgrade in place and not need all the palaver of uninstalling the old version (as needed when going from v3 to v4).

8. jhurrell

jhurrell Registered Member

Just as an update to this. I came across this exact issue today - wierd behaviour in the HMRC program etc.. HMRC 2009 program installed in Vista Business, with NOD32 v 4.

The problem is indeed caused by the web protection part of NOD32 - disable it and the HMRC program works fine.

I managed to workaround the problem by adding 127.0.0.* to the "List of addresses excluded from filtering" under Web Access protection > HTTP, HTTPS > Address management.

The HMRC program obviously collects data over HTTP internally. If you do a netstat -abn at the command prompt, while the HMRC prog is running, you will see that it is indeed usng the localhost IP address.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.