HitManPro LNK protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CloneRanger, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I and some others choose not to install patches etc from MS :D So in light of that, as i checked the fix in HMP free, will this fix now be auto undone by HMP, or will it remain as long as we keep the option checked ?

TIA

If you're on holiday again :p I'll wait for you to return, so don't rush out to the nearest internet cafe etc to reply ASAP in that case :D

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

From my understanding the HMP protection will remain in place if you don't have the MS hotfix installed.

3. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

As you can see, I recently was protected by HitmanPro for this vulnerability, but since I upgraded one of my snapshots, it is no longer required. ;)

Attached Files:

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ andyman35

@ Tarnak

Confirmation via screenie = :thumb: Thanks :)

5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

So what's this fix going to do, I mean is it going to download and patch something, apply a script, etc...?

I didn't enable it...

THANKS

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Microsoft only patched this vulnerability for XP SP3 and above. Hitman Pro can provide protection to older systems.

7. trismegistos

trismegistos Registered Member

Why not download from this link you have posted before... http://blog.securityactive.co.uk/20...-for-the-shortcut-lnk-vulnerability-ms10-046/ , and then, using Universal Extractor, get "shell32.dll" then replaced your old "shell32.dll with your windows file protection temporarily disabled(but first empty contents of the dll cache folder). :D

I have tested the link vulnerability POC on a system with the new shell32.dll and it works. ;)

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Oh my bad, big deal don't mess with .LNK shortcut files if you don't know what you're doing, this isn't that big a deal, LOL...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.