HitmanPro.ALERT Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by erikloman, May 25, 2012.

1. ropchain

ropchain Registered Member

HMP.Alert 3 is not a replacement for anti-virus software

2. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Thats not what i asked about.

3. ropchain

ropchain Registered Member

It is an answer to your question. HMP.Alert is not AV software and it is up to you to decide whether you use AV or not.

4. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

It is that decision that the question i posted is about - is it necessary to have an antivirus when you have HMP.Alert.
    What i hope for is that someone wants to evaluate it a bit.

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

6. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

No problems with Flash 18.0.0.232 and build 196 (W7 64 bits)

7. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Nice, Alert automatically detected new LibreOffice 5's applications, also the 64 bit version :)

Haha, it seems you're the best source for Flash updates. Long before news of the new Flash version is posted on the Updates section, the Adobe Security bulletins thread and before the Advisories are posted Adobe's own site, you're already posting in this thread.

8. MikeRepairs

MikeRepairs Registered Member

I reported this in July and did not get a reply, OK now I have another customer, the same make and model laptop. This customer wants it fixed. I now have two customer waiting for me to fix this. Can you toubleshoot this bug ?

I have two customers with this problem on identical ASUS X205T netbooks

Computer:
    ASUS X205T netbook with 'Win 8.1 with Bing' 32 bit.
    Intel Atom CPU Z3735F 1.33Ghz. 2GB Ram

Problem:
    Installed HMPA 196 for first time. The HMPA service will not start. I see this in event viewer "Error 1068: the dependency service failed to start" also "HMPA support Driver service failed to start. Windows cannot verify the digital signature". Autoruns shows all HMPA drivers are Verified.
    I tried uninstall/reinstall, even removal tool / reinstall, still has problem.

Mike Challis
    HMPA Reseller
    Mike's Computer Repair

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

FYI, I had posted that HMPA destabilzed my machines when I installed it along with Sandboxie and Chrome. I want you to know that I followed bo elam's advice and unchecked the Sandboxie compatibility setting for HMPA. Surprisingly, that made all the difference in the world, and I have since been running HMPA quite successfully on two 7x64 machines. I just didn't want my previous posts in this thread to be the last word on the matter. HMPA is running fine for me along with Chrome and Sandboxie! Thank you, Erik.

10. shogun_r

shogun_r Registered Member

HMPA don't work with Sandboxie :( or Sandboxie don't work with HMPA ;)
    Any suggestion of a sandbox that works with HMPA and is good? Most important for me is to surf the web safely and it's good if I only need to use it when I need.

11. justenough

justenough Registered Member

After months of struggling with the combination of Sandboxie and HMP.A, yesterday I followed bo's advice about the compatibility setting and had the same result as yours on my 7 x64 machine. Everything is running smooth now.
    edit: see updated post below

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

This is interesting about the compatibility with sandboxie. I think the reason I've not had an issue is I never used the compatibility thing in sandboxie, but just added the hmpa line in each sandbox setting area.

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Same here, Pete.

14. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Returning to HMP.alert v3 thanks for the 64bit outpost firewall 9.1/windows 7 support.
    I dont know when it came through as a new job is keeping me busy.

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I just discovered an issue with HMPA and Chrome. I noticed that I can't rearrange tabs in Chrome like I used to be able to.
    Whenever I try to drag a tab to a new location, it opens in a new window.
    I tried reinstalling Chrome, and no difference.
    I tried Chrome outside of Sandboxie, still had the tab issue.
    But when I disabled HMPA, the tabs were fine, I could rearrange them as before and no new windows were opened.
    It doesn't matter if it's Exploit Mitigation and/or Safe Browsing... if either one or both are enabled then I have the tab issue in Chrome.
    Running most recent Chrome 44.0.2403.155 and Windows 7x64.

Edit in: Member busy gave me a workaround... disable 'Colored window border' option in 'Safety notification'

Looks like he posted about it in this thread, back in May.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  16. craiga_uk

craiga_uk Registered Member

That's odd - I can re-arrange Chrome tabs OK on Win 10 x64 OK with the colored window border enabled.

17. craiga_uk

Can anyone give me some pointers on bypassing a program - I've already logged it with support, but we have a client whose bank has a currency trading app written in Java. Printing from the app instantly blows up an HMP alert screen. However, disabling all the exploit protection options for that Java session doesn't stop it. After that, I tried disabling all protection for Java itself with no joy.
    Finally, in frustration, I turned off ALL exploit and browser protection in HMP.Alert (just leaving Crypto protection) and it STILL threw a HitmanPro Alert error!

I've ended up uninstalling it from his PC, as he's a director of the company and he needs to do currency trading. However, I'm confused as to why I was still getting the exploit alert screens when all the protection was turned off.

The error:
    Mitigation BlockedProcess

Any clues?

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

It's not odd if this is an issue specific to Windows 7. And when an issue is known, it doesn't necessarily affect every user anyway. It affected busy on W7, and his workaround also fixed the problem for me. That is worth looking into, imo.

19. erikloman

erikloman Developer

We are working on both an update for v3.0 and version v3.1. Stay tuned.

20. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

So you guys were able to replicate this tab rearranging thing and are working on a fix? ;)

21. craiga_uk

Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest it wasn't worth looking into. Just for completeness, I've just tested on my Win7 x64 (Pro) machine and can't replicate the bug. The downside with this kind of low level software is the compatibility issues with combinations of software/hardware. Do you have any interesting Chrome add-ons? Mine is 'vanilla'. My A/V is AVG.

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Didn't take it that way, craiga_uk. ;)

23. justenough

justenough Registered Member

More about trying to get HMP.A, Sandboxie and Chrome to run together on my W7 x64 machine: even after following Bo's suggestion I had the same problems with particular sites not loading. So I updated Sbxie from 4.20 to 5.01.8, added the \Device\NamedPipe\hmpalert line as before, and checked the software compatibility box in Sbxie. So far all sites are loading.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  24. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

I'm runnning WIN8.1 and could reproduce your issue,
    but only if I drag and drop over or under the tab-bar.

If I drag and drop precise, no new window is opened.

No issue for me...

25. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

Today I installed HMPA on two older machines, that are part of a WIN2008R2 domain,
    to find out compatibility with TrendMicro WorryFreeBuisiness and some special, not common, apps.

The result was nearly unusable Internet with Chrome, due to ~50% CPU Time from TM-proxy and ~30% HMPA. Sometimes even more, up to 98%...
    I had no time to further investigate, so I had to uninstall HMPA, to get things to normal.
    That was a big disgrace to me, but I will not give up and I don't blame HMPA.

Our company runs +20 clients, that need to be protected.
    So we will switch to Kaspersky, as soon as TM licence runs out.

I hope that Kaspersky will be compatible with HMPA.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.