Historic Mars Landing Brought To You By…Windows XP?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tgell, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I got a chuckle out of this. I actually say the screen on the evening news. What is good for NASA is good for me. :D

Article

2. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

3. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Lol EB... I was just about to point that out. I love XP and have no plans to change it, but NASA isn't exactly a glowing endorsement for it's security.

4. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I wish XP would die already. It was good and had a good long run but it needs to step down. My college just switched to Windows 7 this quarter.

5. luciddream

No need for the past-tense... it still is good, and the run is still going on.

The real question is... why all the animosity towards it? Why does it bother so many people that so many people still use it? Heaven forbid people want to continue using something that works well, knowing all their software/games will also work (I can't say the same personally if I "upgraded"), they're familiar with, and doesn't require multi-core CPU's and a ton of RAM to run.

... knaves!

6. jonyjoe101

jonyjoe101 Registered Member

my xp has no security issues. I'm sure NASA has a firewall and antivirus installed, only a fool would use a computer without an antivirus or firewall. Windows 7 is probably just as vulnerable if you ran it with no antivirus.

7. luciddream

Then consider me a fool...

To be fair, Win7 is not as vulnerable as XP, either with or without an AV. But any potential vulnerability in XP can be overcome by the knowledge/usage of the end user. My chances of being infected on both are nearly identical... close to 0% (and this is without an AV mind you, Joe).

But the same can't be said of the average user. The average user is safer on Win7, with UAC and it's mitigation techniques.

But then again the "average user" is also likely to either not deploy these safeguards, or swipe them aside so they can click on/download everything they get their hands on too... rendering it quite moot. So it's kind of a catch 22. The people that could benefit from these enhanced security measures don't use them. And the people that use them, don't need them.

8. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I agree 100% on this. I have an older computer that would choke on Windows 7 but it serves my purpose for what I do. I only run it with a AV and the standard Windows firewall and have never been infected. But, I don't download everything on crack sites, use torrent and open attachments willy-nilly. I browse on a LUA which for me works fine. If I did get infected, I would just load a system image and be back in business.

9. guest

guest Guest

if someone does not like the idea that i still use windows xp
    TOUGH:mad: o_O o_O

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahaha, i guess with all the recent budget cuts they better use anything on hand.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Post with Image Copyright Content.

12. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Commenting on the general case, not specifically people here... I imagine some of such mind could support their view by pointing out meaningful, relative technical improvements in Windows 7 for example. However, I think in many cases the attitude is influenced by the "newer is better" mentality that is common in society due to 1) younger people wanting to difference themselves from their parents and older generations, 2) that being the general theme of the pro consumption advertising we are deluged with throughout our lives.

Not everyone falls victim to that mentality though. In fact, professionals within many industries including aerospace place considerable emphasis on proven, well understood technologies. Especially when it comes to high reliability/fault tolerant systems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAD750

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I still feel Windows 7 has many advantages over Win XP, one of my favorites is that it comes with generic audio drivers, i've taken HOURS and HOURS in the past looking for audio drivers for old laptops that are compatible with W7 but with W7 i no longer have to waste my time on that. :D

14. tgell

tgell Registered Member

15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.