HIPS?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Dregg Heda, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

How does HIPS differ from an anti-executable? Aren't they essentially the samething?

2. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

hips ask for you permission to kill
    AE kills without your consent

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Lol
    Yeap, HIPS is the legal hunter
    where
    AE is the cold blooded murderer

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool explanation, easy to understand:D by the way what is prevx edge?hips or behabiour blocker?

5. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Thanks you've cleared it up for me. Here are some other questions:

1) How necessary is a HIPS? Many firewalls have HIPS components, why is that? Why does Matousec place such an importance on HIPS functions in his firewall test (Oh and what exactly is a leaktest?)?

2) If I were to use a virtualiser like RVS or ShadowDefender would I need a HIPS?

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

Prevx edge is a BB along with other things but it is not a hips

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks buddy for info:thumb:

8. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

Hello!
    1)a h.i.p.s can be a megalith in defending your virtual life IF you are acknowledged enough to know how to propertly answer its prompts..as for firewalls..many malware these are targeted towards identity theft and credit card information frauds and stealing..to achieve that they sometimes use legitimate system processes to get their data out (e.g if you see svchost.exe trying to make a connection you will most likely press accept since its legit), and thus they use h.i.p.s components to warn you for atempts to manipulate other processes as well as other actions...leaktests are created just to show how prone each firewall is to such methods of bypassing.

2)everything is relative...you can use a virtualiser but alone it makes you vulnerable to identity theft,fraud and phishing(since they still get your data even if you remove them with reboot after they do)..you can always use a virtualiser along with safe storage of vital info life robofor , keyscrambler(that one is for manual entering info) and many others as well....if you ask me such identity threats are mostly via browser,so firefox with an up to date noscript extension and some sence in using it is more than enough...we have a member around here(garh forgot his name-but he has the same router as me :D ) that has been running around naked with a such setup healthy for long time .

9. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Having a psychotic moment? lol
    Hugger

10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

For answer to first question, scroll down to History and Introduction, second paragraph here. For second question, just read further.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.