HIPS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TVH, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Can someone please tell me how EqSecure compares to the FREE versions of Prosecurity and SSM? Im currently trying EqSecure and was wondering if either SSM or Prosecurity had features in their free versions that are missing in EqSecure?

Deciding on a HIPS is the final component to my 'perfect' setup so id appreciate the help.

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

EQS is as strong as SSM PRO and PS PRO (paid), only feature EQS does not has compared to the paid versions is outbound network control.

SSM free is old, but offers more than PS free

EQS is by far the best free classical HIPS (although NeuvaGuard is also strong, but is still in Beta and developer is brilliant but lacking time, so I woudl opt for EQS when I were you).

Regards Kees

3. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Cheers mate. Ill check out neova guard as well.

4. Kees1958

5. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Im using it, lovin it, and will be keeping it.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

A couple of off topic posts removed. The topic of the thread is "HIPS" so let's keep the discussion focused there.

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

And i hope they don't. IN my opinion thats a useless feature unless your an OnlineArmor that specializes in firewall protection.

EQS is the BEST HIPS i ever run across in it's rather young history, and it's worth a whole day or week, and however long it might take you to ADD to it's rules because this Shield is SOLID!! as they come as well as LITE!

Not bad looking either, user friendly. Just needs an indepth HELP file IMO. It is a Superb invention in a field/market that is extremely limited.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I really wish them to add outbound network control filter. Ofcourse u can disable it if u don,t need it.

EQS is much more stronger than free versions of SSM and ProSecurity! I will think it comparable to pro version of SSM9 though I havn,t used SSM Pro for a while- not sure about file protection in SSM- if SSM has no file protection still, then EQS is even better than SSM Pro).

9. Kees1958

Aigle, Eastern

Guys why not combine the free Online Armor with EQS. USe the file and registry protection as posted and set the application protection to (see image). OA and EQS are a real dream team.

Aigle try your battery of tests for fun sake on this couple. On XP it is the best free combo.

They are still blazing fast together and the closest thing a classical HIPS/FW can look like user friendly

Attached Files:

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hi Kees1958

Funny you should mention that combo because i have seriously been entertaining that same idea a few weeks now. Don't get me wrong, i think OA is very spectacular in and of itself, but am a bit daunted by it's install size. I'm not limited by no means on space, i have plenty of that, it's that compared to old Kerio 2.15 and EQS, they are super lightweights in comparison but together form a Collossal shield to only weigh in at their respective Mb's. I have a problem with apps that grow Bulky, counterspy is but one example, i don't mean to take a single thing away from any of them, but when you size them up and then compare the differences, it becomes clearer, at least for me, that the leaner apps produce less files, take up less space, and are IMO less likely to suffer from those conflicts or issues seen in the more code heavy apps. We've seen this play over all too many times before and it still happens today.

But, after all that, OA + EQS is not a bad combo at all, and maybe even an ideal pair to compliment one another. I'll have to sleep on that one.

In the meantime i'm totally obsessed with EQS and it's very detailed and efficient file protections. SSM swayed off too much for me although it's quite formidable still, but user friendly + coverage + reliability in EQS is won me over real big and i can't depart from that now.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That might be a nice Combo. On my system NG is working well with EQS and to be frank I have not enough energy and time to configure another new HIPS( though I like OA since long time). OA must have been on my system if it had released before NG,s current beta. I have a special liking for NG and had put a good amount of effort and time in testing/ bug repoting about it. Sad that development has stopped ATM.

I might replace NG and may be even EQS when CFP v3 is developed a bit more and is relatively bug free. I have kept an eye on its development.

12. Kees1958

Aigle,

I tried Comodo V3 twice. On gaming PC's it is drama. On a stable PC I managed to get it working okay, until . . . the next release came. Now on EQS again with OA.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am also waiting for it to be more stable and bug free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.