HIPS Suggestion

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LoneWolf, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

With the exception of Online Armor,Prevx1+SSM,is there a HIPS that you would recomend and why? Not really crazy about testing beta's.Any suggestions are welcome.

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

If you´re into answering alot of popups I would recommend Ghost Security Suite = Regdefend+Appdefend.. It has excellent registry protection, and the application control catches everything a software tries to do.
    It´s been a while since I ran my Processguard but it was great too because of the control of what a software was allowed to do. Even though Ghost Security Suite has more options (not as man as SSM though).

Personally I found Processguard less intrusive. Probably because it does not have registry control.
    You only pay for those apps once which is good, but the downside with them are they are not developed (new versions) as fast as one (just my personal view :) ) would like (I believe they are both one man show´s) but that does not mean they are out dated, they still do a good job afaik.

3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Thank you for the suggestion Sukarof.I noticed you have Geswall in your sig's is there a reason you would not recomend it or is it not considered a hips?

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Sorry about that. I dont have Geswall installed anymore I just did try it for a while, forgot about my sig (dunno why I put it there in the first place :) ) I dont know much about it so I really cant say anything. It did not behave like the other HIPS, more of a sandbox for browsers and other things that connected the net.
    But there are others here that are more educated about Geswall than me, and I am sure they will give a better answer :)

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

gosh just looking at your first 3 active security aps
    ACTIVE: Look N Stop/NOD32/BOClean
    Thats very tidy why would you want to torture yourself with pop ups lol ?

6. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

Because everyone else here does (preferably with 2 or more HIPS). Why else? o_O

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id also vouch for Ghost Security Suite. its interface is nice and its protection is very configurable.

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Not me. :D I use ProcessGuard and I don't mind its popups at all. I also have KAV 2006 MP version which irritated me so much with a ton more popups (than with earlier betas and the original release version) from ProActive Defense that I finally just turned off PAD entirely. I tried other HIPS a few months ago and SSM was horrible ...constant popups. The others I didn't like at all either for various reasons.

9. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Has anyone tried AntiHook (last release 3.0)?

Mike

10. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

Those constant popups are a huge plus for me :D

I like having greater control over every little detail :)

I guess the saying is true, "One persons garbage is another ones treasure" :p ;)

11. BuckSnort_

BuckSnort_ Registered Member

If your looking for HIPPS to try, give ProSecurity a go. It's received good reviews here at Wilders.

12. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I run SSM, have been for some time. I don't get any popups.
    Rick

13. Devil's Advocate

Not even one? I think your SSM is broken and you might be hacked. :)

14. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I only get pop ups for fresh installs or programs not fully allowed yet. Found that ProSecurity gave a lot more when I tried it.

15. Devil's Advocate

That means Prosecurity gives you more control.

If you have less popups it means there are hardcoded rules that are automatically allowing some modules.

Popups that are expected and/or easy to answer are still popups?

16. herbalist

herbalist Guest

My ruleset has been finished for better than a year. Nothing unexpected happens. Besides, I run with the UI disconnected, which shuts off all prompts. With the UI disconnected "ask" becomes "deny". To be fair, I will see an alert when I access certain system utilities like regedit and msconfig, but I'm set up that way by choice. They're both blocked with the UI disconnected, which is how SSM should ideally be run.
    Rick

17. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Matter of opinion. I found SSM easier to set up and so it gave less pop ups afterwards.

18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

SSM rarely pops-up on my computer any more. What's the problem? Noooo problem.:thumb:

19. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I agree,

I lost a bet of my son. He stated he could train SSM free within an hour on the PC of my wife. He did not tell her (he changed something). Ran the PC for a month with user interface disconnected. I challenged him by setting SSM to the tightest safety rules (block all unknown, changes in servicesm processes et cetera).

The bet was I would buy him the follow up of battlefield 2 when she would come down complaining on something (not working right or whatever). If she would complain he would buy me a bottle. I ended up buying his game.

Regards

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If you can wait, Comodo will have HIPS in the next version according to the Comodo forum.

21. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I personally like ProSecurity, as i have contact with the developer, helped supply useful suggestions, ideas and tested for him and from what i have seen, i have complete confidence in the developer to actually and actively care about his product. If you tell him of a problem he will jump on it like a rash until its fixed. Hes working on a few suggestions of mine and bug fixes of other peoples and will release a new build quite soon, i would say within 7 days at a guess maybe less maybe more, we will see.

WG

22. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Having tried prosecurity hips lately i feel i can highly recommend it. It runs great and has all the bells and whistles you could need. It even has outbound network control which i found excellent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.