HIPS Software for Windows 7 x64, that's easy to use? TIA

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by altruist, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sully

Sully Registered Member

A lot of good replies here.

My thoughts on the topic...

When I think of HIPS, I think of a tool that "can" monitor anything that happens, and allow or deny it. Such a tool normally requires one to understand what should be allowed. Many of these tools attempt to "auto configure" or "learn" your system, so that most of the "rules" are easy to implement.

Some tools are watered down HIPS, where they ask fewer questions and require less configuration. These may or may not give the user the type of granularity they seek. It seems tools such as these make a compromise of ease of use with lack of protective features.

Defining to yourself what you really seek is the first step. (of course, declaring this also helps others offer advice too)

Do you want to learn from the HIPS? Do you want to be in control of as many aspects of your system as possible? Do you want to know everything that happens and desire the control to allow or deny it?

Do you only want something that provides a "good enough" amount of protection that also doesn't bother you with so many decisions? Do you want to protect against both local threats and networked threats?

Are you concerned about only a few aspects of system security, such as your browser or downloaded files? Do you fear other machines on your network? Do you frequent foreign networks such as internet cafes?

Each of these questions narrows the scope of what you seek. Often it may be that after close examination, you find you only need to protect a few key aspects. Sometimes you will like one tool that you are comfortable using and that you believe provides what you seek. Other times you will, for your own reasons, choose to use multiple tools, as the say "layering" them.

In the good old days, tools like Process Guard offered very robust security, but it also came with a lot of prompts as the price. The same could be said of all the early ones, like SSM. As these evolved, they started to become included into firewalls, and then into many areas. They evolved further into things like cyberhawk/threatfire. Other versions focused on different methods, such as TrustNoExe.

Many of these tools could accomplish what you need, but only if you have decided what it is that you need. It is true that AppGuard could fit the bill, but so might DefenseWall or Sandboxie. Prevx might, threatfire might. It is so very hard to say. Even for you, it will be hard to say.

My advice is to first come to terms with what you want or don't want. Often, you won't be able to do this without trying many of the current offering. After trying them, you begin to get a feel for what you like or don't, and hopefully what you really need or don't need.

I am probably notorious for offering advice without actually telling which product to use, whether it be a HIPS type tool, or a firewall or an AntiVirii. The reason is simple.. after trying so many of them, often based on feedback such as that given here, an age old saying is so very true...

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

I would try them, and come to your conclusion. After you find a few you like, and have an idea of what your security concerns are, then you are able to ask more specific questions, like

does Program X stop Vulnerability Y from happening?

Then those here who are so good at testing and sharing can truly help you make an informed decision. After all, one sees here, time and time again, users trying program A, then program B, then program C, until they find the combination that works best for them. Not that these threads are a waste of time, hardly! They give valuable feedback. But I do think it is very hard for you to find that "perfect" tool you are seeking without trying many of them and comparing them.

Sul.

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

D+ i use and it;s very easy to use:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.