HIPS - light, fast, easy learning

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Iangh, Nov 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

What's the HIPS to go for if I want minimal pop-ups and easy learning (for the kids) and light with limited effect on internet speed.

BTW, prefer free or one-off price, no annual renewals.

Tall order?

I have LNS, Antivir Classic, and Winpatrol Plus. Do I really need one?

Thanks
    Ian

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I used System Safety Monitor just for fun. It allows you to see alot. But it does have lots of pop-ups if you don't use the learning mode or you download software often. For the kids, if they have a pc of their own (ie they can mess with it to learn) this could be an excelent learning app. But they could mess it too bad. My guess is that just formatting the disk would solve the mess (if it stops working lol).
    Win Patrol is otherwise good enough for them.
    Are you looking for something that they can learn with? Or an easy set-up since they will only play games with it?

3. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

IMO ProcessGuard is the easiest HIPS, although not the most secure. It also isn't as advanced as System Safety Monitor, AppDefend or ProSecurity.

But if you want minimal popups, then PG is the one for you. The only thing it prompts you about it is the launching new applications. Everything else is blocked by default with no option to produce prompts.

Well, that depends. If you are willing to take the time to learn about it as well as all the processes running on your PC, then it will be a great addition to your security setup. But if you just want to have it just for the sake of having it, then its probably not going to do you any good. Especially with the kids who might just click on "Permit" without doing research just so they can get it out of the way. If that's the case then you're better off keeping your money :D

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Yes and i wasn't suggesting spending money. SSM has a free version. Not easy to learn, but if the computer is only for them, and you don't mind them messing it up, being kids they'll learn alot from it. We have to remember that kids are sponges when it comes to learning something new.
    If you don't want trouble in that computer, keep it with WinPatrol. Or something else easy and free. Somebody will give other pointers i'm sure:D

5. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Uber simple ? Process Guard . . it has basic functionality, free and has less popups generally

6. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Someone 69 posts in 13 days WOW impressive LOL :cool:

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

PG prompts about a lot more than launching new applications. I don't know where you got the idea that everything else is blocked by default with nooption to produce prompts? As an example, IE produces a prompt every time I go to use it because I configured it that way since it has been known to start on its own and take itself to to WU and try to download WGA. If you mean does PG prompt with tons of daughter questions no...thank goodness! I had to turn off KAV's Proactive Defense in the new MP1 version because it constantly prompts about daughter actions which wasn't happening on the earlier betas or the release version. Plus PG and Proactive Defense were working together beautifully. Now they conflict.

8. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

@ Iangh you may want to consider Cyberhawk.

Here are a couple of threads about it (in no paticular order,

Playing with Cyberhawk

Winpatrol and Cyberhawk

If you use the search function you can find more information about CH.

No

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

lol, well i've been having a lot of free time. And one can learn a lot here:thumb:

10. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Betauser

I tried CH and liked it except when doing a scan with Antivir they ping each other, my CPU goes to 100%, and the scan takes twice as long.

Unfortunately, the suspend CH function didn't work so I dropped CH.

I was thinking about stopping scanning but think that would be foolhardy!

Ian

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

You still haven't answered 2 questions:
    1-is the computer for their use only (the kids)?
    2-what do you think it's important: them learning something with it or the computer being safe whatever they do, because it's easy to use?
    3- lol, to complete no.2, can they mess with it:D ? Or do you want also to control what they do?
    From here experienced Wilders' users will give you a better answer

12. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Sorry.

Their own PCs.

They are both bright, happy to get straight A's at school but no interest in learning PC security. For instance, I installed GesWall, which I liked, but they said no. Too intrusive for them!!!! Being easy to use is a must.

They don't venture to the dark-side (I hope not) so they are not actively looking for trouble. They reluctantly do scans every week but that is because I have threatened to stop supporting their PCs - 'if it brakes because you don't follow my instructions, you fix it. You can't fix it, I'll re-format (this got their attention)'.

Thanks
    Ian

13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm a suspect here on Wilders for what i'm about to say, lol, but have you looked at Prevx1? Not exactly HIPS. It works properly being online. It can drag a bit your pc, some have said. It doesn't for me, but i don't play that much any more (ocasional shots here n there to relax). Until it catches anything, its free. If it detects a malware, the countdown starts and 31 days later either you pay (1 month, 1 year, or pay when you get infected, not recomended) or you still get the detection, but it won't clean your pc.

Wait until others reply to this with their own progs. Check them out and decide. So far i say this is the best concept. Others don't fancy it too much. Not to mention a sandbox for real prevention, but they didn't like it...

I don't want to erase what i just said, but if it's only for them to use, do they need HIPS?

Cheers

14. [suave]

Can you please show me a screenshot of PG giving you a prompt for something other than application launching? My PG doesn't do that so I don't know... but I haven't used it in a long time since switching to AppDefend, and now SSM.

It's not my idea. It's just how PG works. Its either you have the protection ON (in which case everything it blocked by default) or you have the protection OFF (in which case everything is allowed by default). There is no option to produce prompts on anything other than application execution as far as I know...

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

15. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I guess that would make a pair of us.

For minimal intrusion into a normal session, it is among the quietest that I've seen. I'd recommended taking a look at it as a decent option. Again, not HIPS in typical usage, but focus on the goal, not the means to achieve that objective.

Blue

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Bah -- Prevx is a HIPS because -- (1) it is Host based (H) and (2) it is an Intrusion Prevention System (IPS). Therefore, H+IPS = HIPS. There are several flavors of HIPS but... a rose is a rose is a rose.

Yah, Prevx has some new wrinkles but (IMO) it's still a HIPS. AND it is a VERY good HIPS for obtaining superb protection with minimal need for hands-on.

Another good choice for set & forget is DefenseWall. Prevx or DW -- good choices for what thou seekest. I think so, anyway.

17. [suave]

Hi bellgamin,

I was tempted to try DefenseWall one time but when I read the description of the program on their site, it sounded like it was more of a sandbox rather than a HIPS.

I would like to find out more about DefenseWall. What does it do exactly? Is it really a HIPS? o_O

It sounds interesting, but I'm not quite sure what it's all about.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  18. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

http://www.softsphere.com/
    From their site:
    "... Using the next generation proactive protection technologies, sandboxing and virtualization, DefenseWall HIPS helps you achieve a maximum level of protection against malicious software, while not demanding any special knowledge or ongoing online signature updates...."

19. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

The learning curve for HIPS is the following: sandbox>virtual machines/policies restrictions>behaviour blockers>classical HIPS

20. [suave]

Hi zapjb,

That's exactly what I said ("I read the description of the program on their site, it sounded like it was more of a sandbox rather than a HIPS") so I obviously read what you posted above. I just don't understand what they're saying. Is it a sandbox or a HIPS? Or are sandboxes considered HIPS? o_O

21. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

A HIPS is any security app that deals with unknown malware or software exploits/vulnerabilities without relying in signatures as their first defense line
    Sandboxes fulfill that requirement

22. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Yeah
    I'd second PX along with a low maintenance AV/FW combo Heh:NAV/NIS?

Spoilt for choice.
    Cyberhawk free
    DW: outstanding app
    PG: outstanding app: may be needing some attention soon: the competition has may have caught up!
    Those are my first choices (not all at once ;) )

Prevx is good value. Really, and seems to be improving all the time. Can easily be automated for basic functions. No conflicts with most other apps so far.

I see your set-up and I would (having no exp. with LNS; just check around that firewall rules dont conflict with any of the tools you are thinking about.)

PrevX is almost certainly more effective than WP free.

AND: get BOClean as "third layer": simply one of the all time best utilities.
    Also virtually maintenance free and very good value

LOL: not acc to Notok. The rose might be a gardenia or a lily depending on what it is doing and which bees it is catching. ;) The new paradigm :D

Think about imaging utility +/- FDISR if the little angels are going to be a little bit adventurous. :eek:

Have you thought of setting up a home network for the tin-lids if they are on a different box?.
    Might be easier overall with you in control from "root" rather than having lots of different set-ups to look after?

Sorry, drivelled on a bit, Mainly because I've been thinking about the same thing.

Regards.

23. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

What the heck happened to Prevx to cause it to fall from grace? Because it didn't do well in *one* test?

24. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

It's not my idea. It's just how PG works. Its either you have the protection ON (in which case everything it blocked by default) or you have the protection OFF (in which case everything is allowed by default). There is no option to produce prompts on anything other than application execution as far as I know...

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)[/QUOTE]

I think you are right. But the lack of prompts isn't always a good thing.
    If the end result is that you need to go into the interface to enable something so as to get your work done , it's still not easy or fast.

25. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

@suave- DefWall is a sandbox PLUS. The inventor of DW hosts their support forum much of the time. Another resident DW guru by the handle of Toadbee is there, too. Ask about DW over there -- for 2 reasons...

1- You will get an answer as to what DW does, far better than I can explain it,
    AND
    2- You will discover what friendly, helpful support is all about.

Prevx also has a very gracious and helpful support forum over Yonder at CC.

@lucas1985- Well said. Good definition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.