HIPS forums

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by f3x, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. f3x

f3x Registered Member

We have general forum for all kind of thing antispyware, antivirus, antiotrojan etc...

However HIPS related post have been found a biot everywhere on the forum but now seam to have found home in the other security app.

However with both antivirus and antispyware having very good detection of trojan horses I seam to see less and less antitrojan post, yet more and more HIPS related post.

I beleive a forum for general HIPS discution would be a nice inclusion to wilders. Moreover it'll stop ppl from posting general hips / malware thread in product-specific forum such as pg / gss.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'll agree that there are certain past HIP type threads that might crop up from time to time in a Forum other than the one they should be in but that could mean it's an older thread that was posted in a Forum before HIPS was hot and there never was a real good place for them. Any of the newer HIP threads that one sees in a Forum that we may have over looked in moving....Please feel free to bring it to our attention.

As for their new home....HIPS threads are now located in our other anti-malware software forum as noted in this Sticky: thread.
    Any threads started in a product-specific forum will remain product-specific. If they are not....We move them to a more approprite forum.

Once again....if a thread is found in a forum that clearly should not be there and We have over looked said thread....Please bring it to our attention.

Bubba

3. f3x

f3x Registered Member

Can you please bring to my attention how we bring thing to your attention ? ;)

----------------------

Regarding the new home for hips... i noticed that they are now in the other anti malware forum ( as i pointed in my last post). I am also happy that a board adming have found a "definitive" home for them.

However i do consider HIPS related post will continue to grow and the flow of them will be more important that other thecnology that have their own forum. I stated anti trojan as one of the declining that I bet will become less important than hips regarding post flow.

In such a way, I started this thread to bring this observation to board admin as well as to test if the community reaction is favorable. If such a thing happens, i quite does not see any downside for a new forum. It's only a matter of having better organisation of information. I'm pretty sure than somewhere in the next two years, hips will have their own forums... doing it now would just save some hassle of bigger restructuration in the future.

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

You first option is to use the small blue button (with an exclamation point) at the top right corner of any post. This is the "report post" function and will email the report to staff members. Simply write in the report what the issue is. Example; "I think this thread is in the wrong forum."

Otherwise you can also use private messages to contact staff members who may be online at the time.

5. f3x

f3x Registered Member

I've been hesitating to use that feature because of the warning that sounded like .. use this for extreme cases only:

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The other anti-trojans forum is being maintained for awhile just for legacy reasons, but it is certainly in decline. We only just recently split privacy software from anti-malware, and as Bubba noted, HIPS fits there nicely right now. In time we may make other changes, such as splitting HIPS out, but right now the volume of posts is fine when combined with other anti-malware software in that section.

That's just the default wording in vBulletin for that option, but, that is the most effective method of reporting misplaced posts.

Attached Files:

7. f3x

f3x Registered Member

thank you for the explication LowWaterMark
    it's true that without hips / virtualisation ... other anti malware forum is quite empty. Maybee what i wanted was more a rename of that forum a bit less general than "all other goes here".

IN any way ... i'll continue to watch those forum and be please to whaever optimisation will be made in the future

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

What is the point of the two columns? They look the same to me.

9. LowWaterMark

They are not the same. Look at the values in the count of people "## Viewing". The numbers are definitely different. ;)

Those numbers were the whole point to show how many people were viewing those forums at those times. Monitored and logged over time, we're able to tell how active each forum section is and if it is winding down or growing busier.

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Ok. The right one has a significant difference in the number looking at "other firewalls". The left one has a significant difference in the number looking at "privacy general". I don't see any significant difference in those looking at "other anti-trojans". I look at that one because that is where BoClean posts are. I never look at HIPS. I use PG but am not happy with it and have tried others all of which are absolutely horrible. PG is the least bad of the bunch IMO.

Anyhow, which column is current and which is old...and what are dates on those snapshots?

So, you just dropped a shocker. You are getting rid of "other anti-trojans"o_O! That and "other antivirus" is a main reason for coming here.

11. LowWaterMark

Those are just a couple random points in time to show that if you spot check, you'll always see people in all the general software sections. None of them are anywhere near dead. As for the real data, I'm recording trends for my use.

Regarding the other anti-trojan software section, we're not getting rid of it all that soon. It took us almost a year to separate privacy software from other anti-malware, even though we posted about it here in General Topics when we first thought of the idea. Until the products in the anti-trojan space change their focus (and the names they market under), we'll probably be maintaining that section. Might it be gone a year from now? Could very well be, based upon the changing strategy of the products in that space.

12. f3x

f3x Registered Member

Hi LMW thanks for the columncount initiative.
    however here's another screenshot taken now.

no matter how many ppl are viewing those forum...
    here's a randoom overview of the content:

out of the top 20 post (not counting sticky):

Unrelated: (9/20)
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    4) are already moved as they are at the bad place
    3) are concerning rootkit (another one grey topic that fit a bit everywhere) and may be moved as it's not purely anti-trojan related

1) Is regarding antihook, that i consider to be a HIPS
    1) is regarding buffer overflow, it's general talk .. no AT here.

Related (11/20)
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯
    4) are regarding A-squared
    2) would fit better in a dedicated BOClean forum product support
    2) General AT discution
    1) About a false positive / or positive infection found
    1) Concern Spy sweeper
    1) Is the eternal no more TDS thread that confirm decline in AT thecnology

I will not even argument on the fact that i do not see why A² is considered as an anti-trojan. From reading the description it'S just some other general-bossted anti spyware.

Anywais the term antispyware rarely reffer to program that detect only spyware.

Attached Files:

• at.jpg
      at.jpg
      File size:
      94.7 KB
      Views:
  13. LowWaterMark

You don't consider BOClean an Anti-Trojan? (I think they kinda do - or at least did.) :blink:

And Andreas has a foundation (Ants) of being an AT, well, once upon a time.

14. f3x

f3x Registered Member

where did i say BOClean isnt a AT ?

I only counted the BOCLean post as im my mind the AT section could almost be splitted into two product section (BO + A²)

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Why isn't there a BoClean support forum here? Official or otherwise?

16. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

I must have misunderstood what you said too, f3x, when you suggested that the BO thread be moved out of the Anti-Trojan forum, given the fact there isn't a separate BO forum here to move it to. :doubt:

Anyhow, we really do like it the way it is. As LowWaterMark said previously, things may change again down the road, and if and when it's needed (maybe a year's time, or less) we may need to look again at re-arranging some forum sections here. :)

Regards,

snap

17. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well ewido (an antitrojan) already has their forums here, so i doubt a BoClean forum would be established anytime soon.

atm, only 1 xyz software can have their forum here, where xyz is a category such a encryption or antivirus. processguard and appdefend are exceptions tho. and also, maybe in the future this policy will change. who knows.

18. LowWaterMark

Because BOClean has official support forums at MickeyTheMan's site and Gladiator's. We don't double up on support forums here. It's not our way.

I'm sorry, but this is getting silly now. The forum sections are what they are, and will remain that way. Thanks for your input, but this thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.