HIPS for 64-bit

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lubieplacki, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lubieplacki

lubieplacki Registered Member

Hello, is there any HIPS working on 64-bit system ( Windows 7) ? What?

2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

What exactly is a HIPS?

3. Outpost Free, PCTools Firewall, Comodo, and Privatefirewall all have HIPS components and support 64-bit versions of Windows.

I'll offer some further opinions on them...

- Outpost: Firewall is missing a lot of features compared to Pro version, so if you want more featureful logging and stuff, get Pro or go with something else. Default option on some things (like allowing execution of new binaries) is "Allow" rather than "Deny", kind of stupid IMHO. Otherwise very light and very configurable.

- PCTools: light, very featureful, and for some people very buggy. The most noticable bug I've seen is that it takes forever to register a new network, during which I've no idea what the firewall's status is (but it's certainly not blocking everything). Most machines don't seem to have big issues with it though.

- Privatefirewall: very light, not too many config options. HIPS seems a little weaker than the others and doesn't score as well on Matousec, so I'd recommend keeping the anti-executable option on. Also, Privacyware makes some rather bombastic statements about its efficacy, and flaunts some dodgy awards on the homepage (*cough* Brothersoft *cough*).

- Comodo: light, configurable, powerful, and very controversial, because Comodo Group has notoriously poor ethical standards, selling security certificates to known malware peddlers. I don't see that as necessarily indicating the HIPS' quality... On the other hand, I personally don't trust it at all, due to an experience where I was hacked right through the firewall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.