HIPS etc learning mode Caution !

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by CloneRanger, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I installed something today, & ProcessGuard alerted me to several MS.Exe's that were required to run for the install to proceed. One of these was cmd.exe which under normal circumstances, as in this case, was ok to allow via a per basis prompt, as set by me in PG.

If i, or anyone else, had just installed a Hips type App, & allowed it to be put in learning mode for some period of time, cmd.exe & whatever else considered ok, would have been permanently allowed as a safe .exe, never to be prompted again.

As malware can make use of things like cmd.exe etc, i believe it's better not to permanently allow them, but rather receive prompts as & when required. This shouldn't be very often, so it's no inconvenience to adopt the precuationary method.

Of course malware would throw up a number of other alerts & blocks on my comp & get no further, but other peoples comps "might" not !

2. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

This is kind of a good point. To better protect against exploits rundll and regsvr should also not get an automatic pass.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Modern HIPS can deal with this issue as they generate pop up alets on parent-child basis.

But a weak point for even the modern HIPS may be executables like .cmd, .bat, .vbs etc. However even these executables can be contained be dealing every such executables an an idependent exe rather than an instance of cmd.exe, or scripting host etc. Comodo developers were implementing this but I don,t know how far they have completed this feature.

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Nice thread with some very good points/suggestions on what not to give full permissions to with a HIPS. Thanks for that, any other suggestions would also be appreciated. :thumb:

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ nosirrah

Nice includes :thumb:

@ aigle

Good points :thumb:

@ LoneWolf

Thanks ;)

So far we have,

cmd.exe - rundll32.exe - regsvr32.exe

I'll add - regedit.exe - regedt32.exe - regedit.dll - & mstsc.exe = Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection :eek:

All contributions gratefully accepted :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.