HIPS Crazy

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by WilliamP, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Prevx 1 is my HIPS of choice, but the downside for me is the lack of configurability. If there was something free out there that has the same amount of protection, with a great support team, and configurability, I'd switch in a heartbeat. :T

2. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

I have contacted the support department via email but I have not gotten a response back yet. I will report back when I hear something!

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

You can post in castlecops forum as well.

4. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Thanks just posted over at castlecops. Just curious is the new cyberhawk similar to prevx with the community aspect?

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t know much about it. I used it for short time, it is mostly silent and they claim that it is made to work silently most of time. No much rules creation. Personally I don,t think any HIPS without advanced rule creation option can be very good at the moment.
    However I got no conflits or any problems in its working although it is beta but looks pretty stable.

6. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

sosaiso!

Would the combo of free PG and Defensewall HIPS fulfill your needs for protection?

Best Regards

7. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

I am not sure, I have not looked at defensewall yet. I currently have winpatrol plus but I am not to sure about it. SSM looks good also Online armor but I must read more first.

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Just keep in mind that Cyberhawk, WinPatrol, Online Armor, and the like, do quite a bit of the same things as Prevx1. Running them together may cause problems.. WinPatrol, for instance, has known compatibility issues because of that.

I'm all for experimenting with different apps, but redundancy is something you have to watch out for. Too much of it can cause slowdowns or destabilize the system. That's doesn't just go for Prevx1, but any number of apps that do the same things in the same way.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have used winpatrol free with PG free, MSAS, NIS, Avast, OA, AntiHook, CH and some others but never got any problem. Can u specify the compatibility issues with WP.

10. sosaiso

I haven't tried either PG or DefenseWall... I've never really wanted that much protection. I am content with using Prevx, or maybe Antihook when they resolve a few issues.

The only problem I have with Prevx is the lack of rules creation, and the fact that it takes up so much memory when installing. The popups are way too fancy. :T

11. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi sosaiso,

I am using Prevx1R and it has a Personal Rules tab available from the Advanced button.

However, I am unclear on how to use it and could not find anything relevant in the Tour. Apparently, once you understand how to forumlate a Personal rule, you can apply them via the Personal rules tab.

I have the following settings and rarely get a popup, except when executing a new program:
    Current Mode: Prevx1 Pro
    Protection Plus: Enable
    Preferences: Enable Advanced options checked

I suppose I'll have to visit the forum and/or send a message to support to find out how to drive the Personal rules creation, and how to determine if I need any.

-- Tom

12. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Got this reply from Prevx Support:

Q: I see there is a Delete button under the Advanced button - Personal Rules tab, but I don't understand how to use this feature or if it is just a place holder at this point in time.

Care to elaborate on its usage?

A: When you answer a popup for an alert that is violating a security policy, and you put the check in "Always remember", that creates a rule. For instance if you install a new mail program that's never been seen by the community before, and you are in Pro or Expert mode, the first time that you check your mail with it you will get a popup saying that the program is trying to make a POP3 connection. If you choose to allow it, and tell it to remember that decision, it will create a rule so that it won't prompt you anymore. That delete button is there if you make a mistake and need to delete that rule.

Regards,

Prevx Support

-- Tom

13. sosaiso

Yea, basically you can't "create" you can only modify when you've answered a bigillion popups in Expert mode. Annoying, but I can live with it. I feel safe seeing that analysts are going through what we do and applying rules. It's like an antivirus, only there's no virus. Only the anti. xP

14. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Just to add my own confirmation of stable combos.

System Safety Monitor plus CyberHawk (Beta#2) are still working remarkably well in tandem on my XP Pro and performing as admirably
    as anyone would want. I hit them now only peroidically with extreme tests instead of the usual every other day i was putting them thru.

I don't recall when i seen better prevention than these HIPS are proving out to be.

Not all programs will work together but occasionally a vendor can and will honor a request to make adjustments so you can safely fit your personal (other) security program preferences together without issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.