Hips breaks TuneUp Styler

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by SurfRat, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurfRat

SurfRat Registered Member

I use TuneUp Styler (part of TuneUp Utilities) to change the visual style of my Win 7 x64 PC. I recently upgraded to Eset Smart Security 5.0.93.0 and on the first reboot I noticed that my visual style had been removed and it had reverted back to the Windows 2000 look.

I fired up TuneUp Styler to apply my custom style and the only one that worked is the standard Win 7 style. None of the custom styles can be applied.

I suspected Eset and Hips so I disabled Hips and rebooted and Viola! I could again apply my custom styles. I have tried adding custom rules to Hips and it is currently in Learning mode but I cannot get it to work with TuneUp Styler.

Can anyone suggest a fix or work around without disabling Hips entirely?

Thanks

SurfRat.

2. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

What filtering mode and rules did you set?

3. SurfRat

It was on automatic. I set it to learning and added 'Allow All' rules for all the TuneUp Utilities processes that are running. I am clearly missing something with my manual rules. I also enabled 'Log all Blocked' but there were no entries related to TuneUp Utilities or Styler in the log.

4. toxinon12345

and now?

5. SurfRat

See first post "it is currently in learning mode"

6. toxinon12345

Check the list for Any blocking rules.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please enable logging of all blocked operations in the advanced HIPS setup, reproduce the problem and then check the HIPS log for details about the blocking rule that was applied.

8. SurfRat

Thanks for the help guys, but please read my posts as I try to put as much info into them as possible...

I have already enabled logging of all blocked operations but their are no entries related to TuneUp Styler. Only entries in the log are related to Sysinternals Process Explorer and Setpoint.

I appreciate your help....

9. BillGates

BillGates Registered Member

I have been having this same problem, the only solution I have found is to actually disable HIPS entirely. I tried creating a rule for "Program Files\Tuneup\Styler.exe" and even tried allowing the "Tuneup Theme service extension" full access. Neither worked

The log just shows lots of registry changes by Styler.exe telling me that it's been allowed (HKEY_USERS Control Panel modification), but the theme still cannot be changed. I cannot find a solution, it just stops working every time that HIPS is enabled

10. SurfRat

9 months after posting this it is still broken. Using ESS 5.2.9.1. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.